Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Recommendation on Whitsundays (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/recommendation-on-whitsundays-518061/)

JBaug Apr 3rd, 2005 08:44 AM

Recommendation on Whitsundays

I am looking for a recommendation on where to stay within the Whitsunday's. We would only be there for a short while 3 days. We are looking for relaxing beach time, with an opportunity to take day cruises to explore the area. Looking at a cost around $AUD 200 per night.

tropo Apr 6th, 2005 10:19 PM

JBaug - the Whitsunday area is a very touristy area now, and my recommendation would be to stay at Brampton Island, which is in the Cumberland Group of Islands, off the city of Mackay. I've stayed on Brampton a few times now, and there is something which i can't explain, that makes Brampton, so much more friendlier, less touristy, less people on the island, which all goes to making your holiday, so much memorable.
Brampton Island is a very pretty island, with most of the island National Park, including nearby Carlisle Island. If you go to Brampton, you will know what I am talking about.

lizF Apr 7th, 2005 01:26 PM

According to my husband who was there about 3 weeks ago, do not stay in Airlie Beach as he said that is was like a third rate backpackers place. I was to go as well but was too busy. That is not to say that the Whitsunday area should be missed just that it would be much better on an island than on the mainland. Take Trops suggestion of Brampton - always was a nice place.

RalphR Apr 7th, 2005 07:52 PM

Spent 6 days on Brampton Island in July 2002. Loved it, especially the walk around the island and the one up to the magnificent lookout on Brampton Peak.

tropo Apr 7th, 2005 08:23 PM

LizF - haven't visited Airlie Beach area for some years now, but I have heard the same, as your husband described it.
My wife & I had our honeymoon on Brampton many years ago, when the accommodation was very different then, no air conditioning, etc. But when revisited the island some years later, it still had the same appeal. The staff made us feel like one of the family, and because of that other guests talk frequently to one another, just one big family I guess.
P.S. If they know your revisiting, after having your honeymoon there, management & staff really spoil you.

tropo Apr 7th, 2005 08:26 PM

JBaug, another reason why Brampton Island has that special appeal, is that its not in the Whitsunday Island area, where lots of boats, etc, call into the islands. In other words, its a bit off the beaten track, when compared with the Whitsunday area. Thus you get to know other guests very quickly, without hordes of day trippers.

JBaug Apr 7th, 2005 09:26 PM

Tropo- Thank you for the suggestion...I hadn't come across Brampton Island information at all in my research. It seems like just the out of the way place we are looking for. This will be our first trip to Australia and we are doing 4 days in Sydney, 4 days in the Gold Coast (we have a friend there) and then we were open on where to spend the remaining 4 days.

marg Apr 7th, 2005 11:27 PM

Airlie Beach strangely enough does not have a beach - there is a lagoon, lawns etc built close to the sea. It is a backpackers paradise - as older people we felt very much out of it.
If you are prepared to take the gamble, and wait until you get to Airlie Beach, there are usually last minute deals to the islands.

tropo Apr 8th, 2005 08:59 PM

JBaug - a lot of overseas tourists opt for the 'well known' island resorts, and don't realise on what they missing out on, when they only go places like the Whitsunday Group.
Brampton island has 3 night packages, which includes accommodation & ALL MEALS. Like other island resorts the use of island facilities is usually free. You will have to do a websearch on Brampton Island. I know you can fly from Sydney to Mackay, then connect with a smaller plane which flies directly to Brampton Island. As for the Gold Coast, do a search with www.virginblue.com.au to see if there are direct flights from Gold Coast to Mackay. If you go to Brampton Island, see if you arrange it so that one of your nights is a Saturday night, which the seafood smorgasboard night (yummie)
From Brampton they have trips to the outer barrier reef, or you can snorkel in amongst the coral reef in the channel betwee Brampton & Carlisle (this coral was brought in some years ago, and growing quite well)
They have all sorts of unusual boat trips, eg. one where they drop you off on a deserted beach on Carlisle Island (this island is uninhabited)with wine & food, then pick you up later. Or there is a wine & nibble cruise which goes around the island on sunset, very romantic and scenic.
On Brampton Island....the Beachside Units have the best water views, and the cheapest accommodation is the Carlisle Units, which overlook Carlisle Island and channel, which separates the two islands.
The island accommodation has numerous coconut palm trees. The reason being, that before it became an island retreat, it was a coconut plantation.

tropo Apr 8th, 2005 09:12 PM

JBaug - you have probably noticed that some of us on this travel chat board, sometimes talk of places that we hold close to our heart, i.e. "our" special places. No doubt you have similar places in your home country. When we lived in Sydney, I took some english friends on a 3 day driving trip, down to my favourite south coast destinations/restaurants/wildlife locations. They were so blown away, that when they returned 2 years later, they rented a car, and drove straight back to these places.
Many years ago, an author called E.J.Banfield, lived with his wife on Dunk Island (off Tully in Nth.Qld) and he was told he only so many years to live. He ended up living a lot longer than they thought. Behind the resort are the headstones for both Mr & Mrs Banfield, and there is a lovely inscription on Banfields gravestone. I think a lot of people should read this inscription, and adapt into their way of thinking.

lizF Apr 9th, 2005 01:45 AM

and the name of the book about his wife, life and Dunk Island is " The Confessions of a Beechcomber" - was a good read then and still is a good read.

lizF Apr 9th, 2005 01:47 AM

Mmm try "The Confessions of a Beachcomber"
Alan isn't the only one who has been bending the elbow!

JohnInMiami Apr 9th, 2005 03:44 AM

Tropo - what does the inscription say?

JBaug Apr 11th, 2005 02:26 PM

I have appreciated all of the information and love to find out about all of the "special places" that our unique and interesting. Sounds like I have a new book to locate too.

lizF Apr 11th, 2005 11:03 PM

I believe it was about 1886 that Banfield went to Dunk Island, he was not well and doctors thought that the fresh sea air would help him.
On his tombstone is the following inscription:
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears."

Banfield either wrote a book called a Different Drummer or the book was written about him by "???" Noonan. Either way he was something of a philosopher and his writings were an interesting look into humanity.