Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Rabbit Island, Nelson ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/rabbit-island-nelson-505642/)

Chenoa Feb 20th, 2005 04:59 PM

Rabbit Island, Nelson ?

Is Rabbit Island in Nelson worth visiting? What's there to see / do there and is access by walking only?

imanson Feb 21st, 2005 12:29 AM

Hi, I am a kiwi, and we love Rabbit Island. You drive there by car etc., as it is out of Nelson, approx. 10 mins. and then you can walk or drive round the island. It is primarily a picnic spot, with the sea easily accessed. Some folk go for the whole day, and picnic, or bbq. This is a lovely spot for a swim, and the view of Nelson harbour and hills simply wonderful. However, if you are short of time, I would miss it out, and take a drive to Ruby Bay, which is further on in Mapua. Mapua, has alot of offer, with its Smoke House and Acquarium, just to name a few. Or go for a ride in a Jet Boat and really see the area. IM

Melnq8 Feb 21st, 2005 12:35 AM

We too, love Ruby Bay and Mapua. In addition to IM's suggestions, there's a great restaurant called Flax on the Mapua wharf (right next door to the Smokehouse which is also wonderful), and lots and lots of great wineries to visit.

Chenoa Feb 21st, 2005 02:13 AM

Hi guys!
I'm definitely in a mad rush to cover Motueka to Blenheim in a day. So, likely to skip Rabbit Island.

BTW, why's it called Rabbit Island? Are there many rabbits around? LOL

Coincidentally, I've been reading about these two restaurants in travel guides and am inclined to dine at either. :) So...that's a yes, I'll visit Ruby Bay and Mapua.

Melnq8 Feb 21st, 2005 03:33 PM

Chenoa -

You piqued my curiosity about Rabbit Island so I looked it up - here's what I found in my Lonely Planet Guide -

Rabbit Island -

20 km west of Nelson
Great swimming beaches, boating, fishing and forest walks. It has 13 km of undeveloped beach backed by plantation forest. The bridge to the island is closed after 9 pm and camping is not allowed.

No mention of why it's called Rabbit Island though.

We're spending three nights in Mapua in April, so maybe we'll go check out Rabbit Island. We've been to the South Island many times, but just recently heard of Rabbit Island.

Thanks for giving me yet another place to visit!

becalmed Feb 24th, 2005 01:08 PM

Chenoa,
(Assuming you will have own transport?)FYI: a drive up into some residential areas (Britannia Hts, Princes Dr to Tasman Heights) some stunning water views, some with nice info plaques. Winding, but easily found (off Rock Rd or from town) with map. Be prepared for xwalk gridlock in cbd. Hope NEXT time you will have more time to explore. Nelson's appeal is in the details, slower pace...

becalmed Feb 24th, 2005 01:10 PM

Chenoa,
Also: be advised Rabbit Island does NOT ALLOW DOGS.

Chenoa Feb 24th, 2005 07:49 PM

Hi Becalmed.

How long will the drive up to the viewpoints you mention take?

No worries, I'm not bring any dogs with me.

becalmed Mar 3rd, 2005 01:01 PM

Views I mentioned are residential/in town, just minutes from CBD. A map & 15 min are all you need! Up from Rocks Rd/beaches; Princes Dr accessible off Washington Valley via Hastings/Anzac Pk area.

Chenoa Mar 4th, 2005 03:58 AM

Thanks. Shall try to find the places.