Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   R&R around North of SI or Christchurch? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/r-and-r-around-north-of-si-or-christchurch-303503/)

lavici Feb 12th, 2008 02:11 PM

R&R around North of SI or Christchurch?

after 4 days walking the queen charlotte's track, should i stay 2 extra days relaxing around the sounds,marlborough wineries, and nelson/abel tasman or jump on the train to visit christchurch for 2 days? thanks...janine

Melnq8 Feb 12th, 2008 03:09 PM

Janine -

Staying IN the Sounds isn't the best way to see the wineries - you'll need to take a water taxi from your accommodation to Picton, and then drive/bus to the wineries from there, then backtrack. You'll pretty much have seen all you can of the sounds during your four day walk and during your ferry ride from Wellington to Picton.

I'd suggest you head to the Abel Tasman area (Nelson/Mouteka/Upper Moutere/Tasman, etc) and visit wineries from there.

Personally, I wouldn't be in a rush to get to Christchurch.

lavici Feb 12th, 2008 05:47 PM

you see melnq? that's exactly how i feel... christchurch-- from what i've seen and heard just doesn't really "do" it for me-- because it looks just like what it's supposed to look: a founder's father's city. i rather stay around, and enjoy the rest... nelson, mouteka, tasman etc. yes, i think you are right i will leave picton and the sounds behind, and that leaves me with one week to explore with no car :( but i can walk , take a bus or water taxi around. i've heard blenheim is not prettypretty per se but at least it's right in the middle of the wineries, before exploring the nelson/tasman area... what else occurs to you? jjj

lavici Feb 12th, 2008 05:57 PM

i will check the list of places you gave me for staying around the nelson tasman area, but as you know the lay of the land... if you think of any particular one which would be easier to get around without a car, i'd be happy to check it out first.( i was on the verge of renting one, when i remembered n.zīs drove on the right... too:-/)

REGARDING TAS:
-did i send you the link for the convict stay close to freycinet?

-what i'm finding difficulty with is my connections from hobart to nz... it takes for ever with qantas, even 7-13 hours so i'll check with the other smaller airlines

Tim_and_Liz Feb 18th, 2008 12:11 PM

How about Kaikoura?

tropo Feb 21st, 2008 01:46 PM

Lavici - Nelson is a great place to base yourself for a few days. Good cafes, wineries nearby, loads of sunshine, moutains with snow caps in the distance, and beaches where you can swim.

lavici Feb 21st, 2008 07:42 PM

thanks tropo :) i found a beautiful B&B, a converted barn in a small farm which grows olives, almonds and has vineyards, llamas, sheep and even alpacas...and one of the hosts is a chef! so i think it will be perfect...we will exchange dinners. one night he will cook and one night i will prepare a venezuelan dinner. how's that? ;> jj

KathyNZ Feb 22nd, 2008 08:59 PM

We have already advised you that it is difficult to get around Marlborough without a car and staying in remote places. You are best to check on the internet for day tours to get to the places you have been mentioning and to do those from a base, preferably Nelson.

lavici Feb 23rd, 2008 06:58 PM

yes kathy i will stay around nelson and/or in the bb you recommended in town. i know that i will have to take a bus from picton into nelson...i for one think it's a pain in the neck to haul my stuff around up and down from buses instead of having the flexiblity of driving around whenever i please, to wherever i please. so i may end up either taking day tours as you kindly suggest or finally giving in to my "driving alone oz/nz style syndrome" misgivings and rent the car in picton at the end of my QCT to visit the other surrounding areas...freely. gracias gracias... jj