Queenstown mini day trips?

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Queenstown mini day trips?

I will be in Queenstown for a few days in early December. As I am NOT the sporty type, what kind of non-sporty activities can I find in Queenstown? Are there any day trips or excursions that I shouldn't miss? Any *wineries* nearby???

Also, what kind of weather should I expect? Want to dress appropriately! Thanks!!
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 09:09 AM
ALF

It will be beautiful early summer weather, with periodic chances of afternoon rain.

You could go on a cruise of Lake Wakatipu, or take a bus to Milford and cruise on spectacular Milford Sound.

There are several wineries and vineyards in the Central Otago, just outside Queenstown - most notably, Chard Farm (www.chardfarm.co.nz) and Gibbston Calley (www.gvwines.co.nz). There are a couple of tours you can take - one is called the Wine Trail (www.queenstownwinetrail.co.nz
).

For great scenic views, take the Skyline Gondola and have lunch overlooking Queenstown, Lake Wakatipu, and The Remarkables Range.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 12:23 PM

A cruise aboard the TSS Earnslaw on Lake Wakatipu would do nicely to top off one of your evenings in Queenstown. We took the dinner cruise. After cruising the lake you disembark for dinner at a Walter's Peak High Country Farm. Excellent food and service.
There are other cruises during the day which includes stops to see sheep shearing at the Farm, lunch, and other exhibits.
The ticket office is at the foot of the lake in Queenstown's CBD. As I recall, the fare for the evening dinner cruise was NZ$88.00 per person. Well worth it.
We also took the motor coach to Milford Sound and flew back. Again, well worth the cost.
So much to do and see there. There are several tourist booking agencies in the CBD which makes it easy to purchase your tickets and make reservations.
We were there in November and had no trouble booking our preferences after arriving in Queenstown.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 04:20 AM

This is a good one! I loved Queenstown! There is heaps of shopping there as well, plus a cinema and dining options so there is also plenty of things to do there. I went on a cruise to Doubtful Sound and loved it! So beautiful...you could also go to Milford. I avoided it b/c of the crowds. I also went to some wineries which were fun. You may also want to drive 1.5 hours to Lake Wanaka, which is also beautiful. There is a great town right there along the lake with enough to keep you busy for at least a few hours (shops, food, etc). The drive is also lovely. Have fun-I'm jealous!
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 03:41 PM

I highly recommend the Skyline Gondola for the amazing views of the lake. It is beautiful beyond words. There is a garden along the lake that is worth meandering through, and you can spend a day just walking around town. We also did the paddlewheel cruise to Walter's Peak. The scenery along the route was beautiful and it was a relaxing evening out. We didn't get to Doubtful Sound, but Milford Sound [really a fiord] was beautiful. the road as you approach is very windy with beautiful scenery, so taking a bus would be perferable to driving, in my opinion. Milford Sound was spectacular, and something I'll never forget.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:01 PM

If you like small towns, you might also go to Arrowtown for a few hours. There are busses that leave from Queenstown and return frequently during the day. There's the remnants of a Chinese mining town there and a number of small shops and restaurants.

Martha
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 06:26 PM

how long does it take to travel from Queenstown to is walter peak farm?
is the farm closer to queenstown than Te Anau?
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:51 AM

If I'm recalling correctly, Walter's Peak is directly across the water from Queenstown, accessible by ferry. The ferry was a short ride, with a sing-along during the trip. We enjoyed the trip over, as well as dinner there.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:20 AM

how long does it take to drive from queenstown to arrow town? long way?
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:43 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
dhui -

Arrowtown is only 20 km from Queenstown.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:46 PM

Also took the ferry from Q'stown to Walter Peak--the sheep farm place to dine. Had a great stay and the sing-a-long on the ferry was great fun as previously said.