Qantas Frequent Flyer points

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could any reader assist me with the new rules re FF points. I have a large number and want to book for a European holiday next year. Help needed to book for firstly a seat (guess economy) then an upgrade to business class. What is the best month and time of day to do a booking (gather the internet is the way to go). Sounds an odd request but I need to understand the new rules before I book. Cheeers, Jay
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:07 PM

www.qantas.com ... then follow the links via your FF Membership no. to the changes. You can do searches both for actual flights and just how many points required between different ports. You don't have to go through with the booking - just abort at the "credit card number" entry point.

Get in as soon as you can and if you don't get what you want immediately, keep trying. You may need to be a little flexible regarding dates. If you can find economy on your desired dates, take it. Then keep looking to see if you can upgrade. It will only cost you 5,000 pts per change.

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 05:17 PM

We've used qantas'ff website several times & there is not BEST time, imho. You could try late at night (Aussie time) to avoid delays but really it all depends on how many ff seats they allocate on each aircraft/route and when they do it. If I wanted Business Class I would not muck around with possible upgrades. I'd book it then & there, if it's available. We've been very lucky & usually get what we want, however we normally book 6-8 months in advance for popular routes. You just have to keep trying and be very flexible. After all, they are freebies!
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 09:07 PM

lomajay - There was an article in last Sunday's- Sunday Mail newspaper, wherein, they were advising FF members to eventually use up their points, as they felt the system, would close sooner than later. It maybe just media talk, and I can't find sundays paper now, to quote on who actually instigated the story.
With any frequent flyer points system, you should use the accumulated points for "longer" overseas flights, and not the cheaper/discounted intercity flights.
We are considering closing our ANZ Qantas FF Credit Card, in favour of a card, which doesn't charge high annual fees, as we tend to fly with Virgin interstate, and internationally with airlines, like Thai, Emirates, Malaysian, Singapore, etc. In fact, we have never flown with Qantas on a overseas flight. Not that we dislike Qantas, it just that when we go to book our overseas trips, the "other" airlines, are cheaper and depart at times that suits us.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 04:29 AM

I've used Qantas FF for 3 people to fly to NZ (twice) and to Canada via NY. This was all economy. My method is to book 365 days in advance then make changes as needed. Good luck
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:24 AM

Qantas FF points seem a bit useless these days.

I couldn't get an economy class seat to either Auckland or Wellington for the whole of September, when I was looking yesterday. Sheesh!

So - what to do - pay for tickets - or take ourselves to Cairns and stay at Lilybank! (be a bit warmer there!)

Bah, humbug, Qantas!