Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Problems eating on holidays because of a food intolerence

Aug 18th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

I will be arriving in Australia in two weeks time for a three week holiday. I suffer from Coeliac Disease (Gluten Intolerence) and have to watch what I eat very carefully when dining out. Can anyone tell me if this condition is well known in Australia and if I can expect to have my dietary needs understood when ordering in restaurants?

Aug 18th, 2006, 05:50 PM

I have no personal experience, but I googled and found this site which lists several gluten free restaurants in Australia and NZ.

Might be worth a look:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~coeliac/dine.html
Aug 18th, 2006, 06:05 PM

I would say that Coeliac Disease is known here as anywhere else in the World as we do have some doctors around and they would have spred the word I would think. I don't think that you can expect any of us to be able to know what people in the hospitality industry know about anything medical condition tho'.
Aug 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Yes. All you need to do is explain your requirements. You will find there are a number of cafes & restaurants, especially in the major centres, which cater for vegetarian and other dietary requirements. My cousin also has coeliac disease and she doesn't seem to have too much hassle.
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM

Best of luck !!
In my experience it is almost impossible to get food which does/does not contain a specific item.
My wife is alergic to Chocolate (gives her migraines). No matter how much we impress on the waiter that the desert must not contain any trace of chocolate, probably 75% of the time it's either squirted on as a garnish, or hidden somewhere in the mix.
Try ordering a Capuchino without chocolate. The Barista looks at you as though you've crawled in out of the gutter.
Aug 19th, 2006, 03:56 AM

My wife suffers from Coeliac Disease and there are many Aussies who have the same condition. The Supermarkets are now stocking more and more Gluten Free products including a very good San Remo pasta, so although your food shopping may take a bit more time looking at the labels etc. you will have no problems. You are probably used to that anyway. Your question however refers to restaurants. We frequently dine out and provided we mention it when booking we have no problem with obtaining a GF meal. We live in Melbourne and can recommend "Donovans" and "Bar Vini" at Enoteca Sileno as exceptional places to dine for Coeliacs should you be in Melbourne. The latter is an Italian restaurant that lists Gluten Free meals on the Menu. We know it is not the ideal condition to have when you are traveling (breakfast at hotels in particular can be difficult anywhere) but I am sure you will have no problems in Australia.Just let them know.
Aug 21st, 2006, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your replies. Yes, I'm quite used to having to read the small print on all labels, not to mention explaining the importance of GF to waiters! And yes, VBCA, I can relate to the chocolate thing! It can be very difficult to get across the fact that NOTHING is to be sprinkled on my coffee/food!!!. I've actually been to a restaurant where they gave me a plate of sandwiches, explaining that there was no mayonnaise or ANYTHING WHATSOEVER containing gluten in the sandwich, but I had to gently point out to them that I couldn't eat bread!!.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:14 PM

Hi Irishk
I'm an Aussie, and I too have had severe food intolerances, and found the best way to ensure I only got what I asked for in restaurants was to give the waiter a small business-card size printout (done on home computer) saying that if there is any food I haven't ordered on my plate, then the meal will be returned to the kitchen. I also printed this onto coloured paper, so it stood out in the kitchen.
Very extreme, I know, but for some reason there are some chefs who assume a plate of food also needs to be an expression of their personal creativity . . . this is the only way I've been able to guarantee that my wishes are correctly conveyed to the kitchen, and listened to!
I've also found that if you just ask for something simple - like plain steak and lettuce, avocado, and whatever other salads you can eat, this isn't so much of a problem.
Good luck, Di
Aug 26th, 2006, 09:58 PM

I also have a food intolerance so I always ask if they can cater for me when I book accommodation. Restaurants are more problematic but I like the idea of a printed card for the kitchen.