Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Port Fairy Accommodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/port-fairy-accommodations-373660/)

scurry Nov 3rd, 2003 04:14 PM

Port Fairy Accommodations

Six of us will be driving the Great Ocean Road in early January. Any suggestions for fun accommodations? Doesn't have to be a B&B but it would be great if it was in walking distance of some good restaurants, pubs, and shops.

Last time we did the G.O.R., my wife & I stayed in Warnambool (sp?). Although a nice town, we're looking for something with a little more character this time round.

Last question, will the second week of January be nightmarishly busy on the G.O.R.? When we went before, we were able to drive up to towns and find hotels/motels/b&b without prior reservations. I assume that that's not advisable this time, correct?

Thanks!

KayF Nov 4th, 2003 12:00 AM

The second week of January is smack bang in the middle of school holidays and will be very busy. I would definitely book ahead, book now if you can. Port Fairy is a very popular spot for holidays, being only 3 hours from Melbourne. A good website for info is www.myportfairy.com and places that have been recommended to me are(I haven't stayed at these myself):
Shearwater House
Goble Mill House
Adeline Cottage
Johannson's
King George B&B
Hearns Cottage Suites
Oscars
Merrijig Inn
There are some great places to eat in Port Fairy, cafes, pubs and restaurants. The Caledonian Inn and the Victoria Hotel are popular for meals. Have a great time.
Kay

maryk Nov 4th, 2003 01:33 PM

I agree with Kay - you will need to book urgently, as Port Fairy is VERY busy in January. I can recommend Johannsons and Hearns - but they may ony take week bookings at that time of the year. You may have better luck with Oscars, Gobles and the Merrijig Inn which are more hotel/b&b style.

scurry Nov 5th, 2003 08:40 AM

Thank you both -- I'll get right on to it.

Any suggestions for Apollo Bay?

KayF Nov 6th, 2003 07:38 PM

Stayed in Apollo Bay years ago in an ensuite cabin in a caravan park which was fine. One place that is often written up in the paper and gets good reviews is Chris's Beacon Point Restaurant and Villas. Check out
www.visitvictoria.com
There is a great walk you can do just outside Apollo Bay (Melb side) that climbs a hill and you get terrific views from the top. If I remember the name (starts with M I think) I will let you know, but someone in town will point you in the right direction.
Kay

scurry Nov 7th, 2003 03:57 PM

The Merrijig has three "very small Attic Rooms (ensuite)" available.

Anyone have any experience with these rooms? They sound fine for my wife & I, but I'm worried that too many steep stairs might be too much for my father-in-law.

What do you think?

marg Nov 9th, 2003 08:41 PM

I think there was a fire at Chris's Beacon Point recently.
The view point Kay is thinking about is Mariner's Lookout, about a kilometre south of Apollo Bay. You can drive almost to the top and just a short walk to the very top. Well worth it.