Planning a trip to Australia

Old Mar 1st, 2024, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Coast trip

I'm looking to explore Australia's west coast in 3-4 weeks. What would you say is the best itinerary to take in your opinion?
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Planning a trip to Australia

I have been wanting to do this for so long and now I finally have the time and money to plan a trip to the Land Down Under. I want to zig-zag around the country and explore as much as I can. What would you say is the minimum amount of time to spend in Australia?
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 04:57 PM

Minimum time I'd consider is two weeks, 3 or 4 destinations, and you'll need to take flights between them. Longer is way better.

This is a very large country, with a small population. You really need to identify your interests.

Timing is also critically important.

More information will get you better responses.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
+1 for Margo_Oz
Australia – size map: https://www.virtualoceania.net/austr...ustralia.shtml

VISA FINDER: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...sa/visa-finder
AUSTRALIA – TOURISM: https://www.australia.com/en

Old Mar 1st, 2024, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To zigzag around the whole country, maybe allocate 3 - 6 months. You either need to fly between places or spend a lot of time on the road. Car hire and petrol costs will add up. Or you could have a few weeks on the east coast, Melbourne and Sydney or Cairns area. Avoid far north Queensland over summer, wet and humid and often floods etc. Lots of choices, depending on when you visit and your interests.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could head north or south from Perth. Perth to Margaret River, to Albany, to Esperance and back is appealing. Check mileage, it's a very big state.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 07:29 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I want to zig-zag around the country and explore as much as I can. What would you say is the minimum amount of time to spend in Australia?

How much time do you think a similar trip in the US would take? Double that.

If you only have a few weeks, pick a state or two, and then narrow down by region. There's so much to see and do in this vast country that it will make your head spin.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 02:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Zig and zagging IS the best way to see Australia. But as others have said, allow plenty of time. When I drive from Melbourne to Gold Coast and back for work, I take the absolute shortest path and it still takes me 3 full days each way. So that might give you some perspective on distances. Just the east coast is like asking how long would it take to see the US's east coast, if you'd never been before. If time isn't abundant, pick a couple of spots best suited for the time of year you're coming and use them as hubs and fly between. Say, Melbourne/Victoria is nice in spring or autumn and you have plenty of beach and mountain experiences. But it's hot hot hot and dry in the summer months of Dec-Feb (usually, this year was weird) with major bushfires a strong possibility. And can be a bit wet and grey in Jun-Aug. Queensland is muggy in upside-down-summer but a properly appealing destination in winter.
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 12:42 PM
Forum Moderator

your two threads have been merged