Planned Itinerary - Any advice??

Apr 15th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Planned Itinerary - Any advice??

We are a retired couple from Canada and are planning a return visit to Australia to see more than the East Coast. About 3 months is the plan. Starting in mid-late August timeframe.

So far the Itinerary is:

Pick up a Campervan in Sydney. And maybe mountain bikes. Where can we get reliable inexpensive mountain bikes?

Sydney to Lighting Ridge to Broken Hill to Adelaide. Thinking 2 weeks +. We are wine lovers so will spend some time in Adelaide area.

Adelaide to Darwin by The Ghan.

Darwin, Kakadu Park, to Alice, Uluru and Kata Tjuta to Coober Pedy to Adelaide. Campervan. 2 weeks +

Adelaide to Perth via the Indian Pacific.

Perth, Margaret River, Denmark, Albany, Esperance, Kalgoorlie, then a little time north of Perth. Campervan.

Campervan across Nullarbor to Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, possbily Brisbane to visit friend and relatives.

I have been looking at a number of forums, have Lonely Planet, Rough Guides to get information on places to see, things to do. Budget is not tight, but there is a 'low' limit to the spending.

Does anyone know anything about Calypso Campervans?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Apr 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Wow 3 months what a terrific opportunity. Looking at your itinerary so far, there's a lot of driving particularly in desert areas. I wonder if you could make more out of the self-driving.

The Kimberly in WA, for example, is an area that is hard to see without driving or taking some kind of tour, but with a campervan the possibilities really open up. You could drive from Broome to Darwin taking in Kakadu etc on the way.

Also if you want to visit outback NSW can I suggest a trip to Mungo National Park?
http://www2.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au...=N0049&Type=xo

There's a bit of mining theme here (Coober Pedy, Kalgoorlie, Lighting Ridge) is that a key interest?

Apr 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Wow! that is a comprehensive itinerary. Just as well you are starting in August as any later and it could be extremely hot and uncomfortable for driving, especially across the Nullarbor. I have only seen Calypso Campervans on the road , but they seem to be a reputable company. Britz at www.britz.com.au is another company that is very popular.
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:10 PM

For campervan rental, it may be worth your while to check out

www.standbycars.com.au

They often have some very good specials on one-way rentals. As I understand it, they are basically re-locating rental vehicles and you can often pick one up for something like $10/day and they pay a fuel allowance. Might not suit your schedule/itinerary ... but worth a look
Jun 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Susan7.
Things have changed a bit and its all driving. The itinerary is just a plan. As they say, nothing is written in stone. If we find a place we like, we will stay. If we don't like it, we move on.
No special interest in mining, but we did some fossiking in Emerald and enjoyed it.
Don't know if we will make it to the Kimberly or not.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:46 PM

Will be quite a trip and here are a couple of thoughts to go into the mix. If you can fly Adelaide to Perth I would. Nullarbor Plains once by train and a few weeks later by car would be very boring. If you come back from Perth by car you must stop at the Yalata Road house and pick up a pass ( Aboriginal Land ) for the Head of the Bight. Large numbers of Southern Right whales migrate there August/ September each year -a spectacular sight. In September the West Australian bush can be blooming with wild flowers - people will travel from the east coast just to see them. When in Adelaide a tour to the Barossa then Eden Valley - through the Adelaide Hills to Harndorf, Harndorf to McLaren Vale and back to Adelaide would be a great wine lovers trip. Also worth looking at is a trip to the Flinders Ranges from Adelaide or on the way back from Coober Pedy is probably your best bet. Look at staying underground at Coober - I think the hotel there is called the Desert Cave. Clarence Street Cycles in ( would you believe ) Clarence Street, Sydney CBD has a large range of mountain bikes you could choose from. Hope this helps.