Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > Palm Grove, Rarotonga vs Etu Moana, Aitutaki in Cook Islands
Notices

Palm Grove, Rarotonga vs Etu Moana, Aitutaki in Cook Islands

Oct 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Palm Grove, Rarotonga vs Etu Moana, Aitutaki in Cook Islands

We've been to Rarotonga twice staying at Palm Grove both times and loved it! We did the day trip to Aitutaki the first time and, whilst we enjoyed the day, we weren't blown away by Aitutaki compared to Rarotonga. We think that maybe it was because it was just a day trip and we should consider staying on Aitutaki for longer, considering all the positive posts Aitutaki gets. We are considering a week at Etu Moana in July/August 2008 - how will this compare to staying at a Beach Front Unit at Palm Grove(which is what we had previously). The properties look similar on the websites - how does the snorkeling compare ?

We will also need overnight accommodation on Raro prior to our onward flight - where is best near to the airport (I ought to be able to answer that myself but I never looked !.

Thanks,

Gaynor
Oct 11th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Didn't snorkel directly in front of Etu Moana, but did so down the beach at bit at the Are Tamanu.

Snorkeling will be similar to in front of the Palm Grove. The place itself is more upscale than the Palm Grove.

Ken
Oct 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ken. We found Palm Grove as a result of your posts on Fodors and have loved both our trips staying there - part of me would really like to go back again, but I think we will try Etu Moana to get a slightly different experience.

Gaynor
Oct 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM

You're welcome.

Yeah the beach at the Palm Grove is as good as it gets in my opinion. Have found the water off Aitutaki to sometimes be a bit cloudier than at Raro - but still generally very, very good with lots of fish. Be sure and get out to see the motus - and take the hike up to Aitutaki's highest point (very easy walk). The trail starts out right across the street from Paradise Cove on what is to begin with pretty much a driveway.

I suspect you will REALLY like the Etu Moana. Everyone I've ever talked to RAVES about the place. I've not been inside the units but did pass by the place on our last trip to the Cooks a couple years back. Looked very nice indeed. AWESOME sunsets virtually every night from that part of the island.

Wishing I was heading back to the Cooks, but it will unfortunately be a few more years. Heading to Kauai in December though and very much looking forward to it.

Ken

Search this Thread