Search

Rugby world cup in Wales

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rugby world cup in Wales

Great atmosphere here in Cardiff yesterday for the Aussie game, there were so many Aussies there. Plus 2 English guys brave enough to come out and one Frenchman that looked a bit lost.

I watched the game in a small pub 100yards from the stadium, fabulous atmosphere and I came home with a wallabies baseball cap. No Idea how I got it..lol
So if you know who I nicked it off, let me know and it will be returned..lol
Well done Australia, the better side won!!

Muck
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:43 AM

I thought the World Cup was in France? Do they play in both countries?
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:56 AM

It's being played predominantly in France with 4 games in Cardiff and 2 in Edinburgh. Can't imagine what the logic is behind that - I mean, why not Dublin and London too?

Or did the French just need a bit of fill-in capacity?

I never thought Wales would beat Aus but they gave it a good go.

England are a bad joke - so what's new!

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

It does seem odd, your right, but the RWC was held in Cardiff in 1999 and several games were played in other countries, such as England, France, Scotland and Ireland. I suppose France is returning the favour. Not sure why Ireland and England are left out other than France and England are not the best of chums... ;-)

Well Wales missed 9 points in kicks, and the Captain was badly injured in a dreadful revenge tackle also the ref was bent, but apart from that the best side won..lol

Muck
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 02:38 PM

I believe the reason for the matches in Cardiff etc. is that when the vote was being taken for host nation of the 2007 Cup France needed support from both Wales and Scotland to win - they got the votes in exchange for the allocated games!
Austalia played well in the first half but their discipline in the second was atrocious - certainly can't see them beating either the All Blacks or S Afica -
Enjoy your Wallabies cap Mucky - !
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:31 PM

G'day Muck

I was thinking of you as I watched the match!

We need to finish top of the group. Did you see the South Africa - England game? Don't fancy facing the Sefricans!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi Margo,
I didn't see the Eng SA game, I wish I had though there were a few quiet English people around after lol.

I think Wales will give them a good hiding..lol ;-)

Ok well I can dream..lol

Muck
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Watching you guys play England as I type (10-6).

Come on beat them, I am sick of hearing about them winning the world cup last time. Its about time they went out cum on wallabies !!!! I even have my wallabies cap on that I nicked off some poor unsuspecting Aussie fan a few weeks ago in Cardiff.

Muck
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Well!!

Sorry that you've been disappointed, Muck.

England won - fancy that (can't quite believe it) and the All Blacks lost (what!!)

What a turnaround, eh?

Now will Fiji beat the Springboks (I think not?

Will Argentina win the whole shebang?

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM

aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Anyone to win except england please !!!

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!

We couldn't stand another 4 years of that.

;-)

Muck
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:11 AM

Why?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Chimani,
There is fierce rivalry between the Welsh nation and England. You really need to be Welsh to understand.

If England win, every patronising supercilious, newspaper, TV program, Sports magazine jounalist will be banging on about how superb they are and there will never ever be a mention of the other home nations, this will go on for the whole 4 years until just as its fading away the next one will come alone and it will all start again.

That's why

Muck
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Spot on Muck.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:22 AM

My problem, Muck, is that I am a mongrel. Part Welsh (my Nain was a Welsh speaker from Anglesey who knew not a word of English until she moved to Liverpool aged 14. I wish she were still alive so I could ask how that was). Also a bit Scots (but they moved south a generation before), and the rest "English".

And I am sort of "of no fixed abode".

If the Welsh played the English I would be happy whichever won, because my tribal loyalties, see above, are ambivalent. (And I much prefer the Welsh National Anthem).

I can see how the press would get under your skin, but are you really saying you would be happy to see the French or the Americans beat the English?

I'm not sure I understand that - do you hate the "English" so much?

Independence for the Welsh?

I find myself wondering which way the money flows - from Wales to England, or vice versa?

As far as I am concerned the UK is one country, and just as well it is - small fry get burned up. And even as the UK we are quite small enough.

Where would Wales be in the big outside world? Hobnobbing with Lithuania perhaps?

Look, sport is just a bit of fun but there are deeper issues here, and I'm wondering where you stand on them.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi chimani,
You certainly have an interesting family history which is why its unfair for me to expect you to understand the deep feeling we Welsh have towards English sports sides.

This doesn't really stretch to anything other than sport for me, I have no problem with English, Irish or scots or anyone for that matter.
We don't have independance from England economically, we have our own talking shop assembly that has very limited powers, but they have managed to introduce no smoking laws before England and remove all prescription charges here, so they are not all bad
I have travelled far and wide and work for a Japanese company with all nations and cultures represented. However in the area of sport its different, here in Wales we are a small nation we struggle to produce a soccer side of any note, our Rugby history is what we have been brought up with, Wales expects to win at Rugby, when we do the whole country smiles.

But England rugby (and soccer to a degree) who are bigger, have more resources and look down on all other teams in an arrogant supercillious manner are not popular here in Wales.

Come to Cardiff during the England game, go to a city center pub many won't bother watching but most Welsh fans will be supporting France.

I got my French scarf at the ready.

Muck