Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   PALM COVE/TRINITY BEACH INFO PLEASE (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/palm-cove-trinity-beach-info-please-361815/)

suziuno Sep 28th, 2003 04:34 AM

PALM COVE/TRINITY BEACH INFO PLEASE

Hi,
We are hoping to go to austrailia next year ,poss oct time.Going to Sydney,then cairns,has anyone stayed at the Azure waters apts in palm cove,or the coral sands apts at trinity beach??,also which is the nicest beach/area??,we love running/long walks,scenic views,and good beaches.
THANKS

Mucky Sep 28th, 2003 05:31 AM

Hi Suziuno,
Palm Cove is simply beautiful, the Azure Waters are on the beach front but we stayed in the 'Oasis at Palm Cove'which was heaven, but I think all the apartments in Palm Cove are fabulous. October was a nice time to go, we were there in Oct 2001.
If you want a peaceful intimate paradise then Palm Cove is perfect, it is smaller than the also lovely Port Douglas which is just up the coast and its close enough to bus in to Cairns and most of the surrounding attractions.
There are several restaurants in PC and several trips leave from the PC Jetty.
(Although I wouldn't recommend a trip to Green Island.Check out Fodors for posts about it)
Check out the Life guards club for a great value meal and drinks.
PC was recently awarded the distinction of being Australias cleanest beach
Have a look at this website.

www.palmcove.net

Have fun

Muck

suziuno Sep 28th, 2003 08:23 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply,another question ,if you don,t mind!!,was it really hot and sunny when you went in oct,did you have much rain?? we are not really sure what month sept/oct /nov to go,have studied climate charts,but it,s always best to ask someone who has been.Palm cove sounds very nice,i will have alook at the apts you stayed in later,
Thanks sue

pat_woolford Sep 28th, 2003 04:34 PM

Hi Sue - Prefer Palm Cove to Trinity Beach - much nicer accommodation and wider choice of restaurants, although the view from the pub on the hill at Trinity Beach is hard to beat! As someone mentioned a couple of reef trips pick up at Palm Cove jetty but all reef trips have pick up points at both Trinity and Palm Cove. In our very hot summers Green Island is used a lot by locals who just want a day on the beach away from stingers, they don't expect much in the way of coral or marine life. October is a lovely month here - the prevailing SE trade wind in our "winter" is well and truly over, and its before the monsoon season which brings high humidity and cyclone possibility. While you're in area try lunch at Yorkey's Knob Yacht Club - great view over the water - you have to become a member to eat there but it only costs AUD$2 which you pay at the door. Have a great trip!

Mucky Sep 29th, 2003 10:00 AM

Hi again Suziuno,
As Pat said October is a great month to visit, we did have 1 day of rain in the 7 that we were there and boy ..did it rain !!
It was really hot, I couldn't walk fully on the sand some days due to the soles of my feet burning.
But then I have welsh feet and don't really ever come into contact with sand that hot..lol
Notsure but I think the stingers come in November, and the heavy rain not long after that, but Pat will be better to advise on that than me.

Have a fab time

Muck

patw Sep 29th, 2003 11:35 AM

Hi,
I think this message may be for Pat who it appears lives in PC.
My husband and I were in Hamilton Island for our honeymoon which will be 17 years in Jan. We had gorgeous weather when we were there (even though it was rainy season) In fact we didn't see any rain for 24 days.
We will be in PC for Xmas and I am starting to panic that I am making a mistake and we will be sitting in our suite staring out at rain.
Is the rain, a tropical rain, real heavy in the afternoon and then clear after that?
PC sounds beautiful and we are satying at the Outrigger Spa which looks beautiful. I don't know what we sould substitute if not PC
Thanks,
Pat

pat_woolford Sep 29th, 2003 07:05 PM

Hi Pat - I live in Stratford which is an older established suburb of Cairns but we spend a lot of time at PC as it's our favourite Cairns beach and we have friends who live there. It's tricky to predict January weather - our last two Januaries have been exactly as you described 17 years ago - but we have had two failed wet seasons. We've been on water restrictions for ages and really need some good storms. I actually love January here -
when it does rain it comes down hard but only for a few hours and often at night and it's warm rain! In fact the best reef trip I've ever had was one on our own boat in Jan - surface water like glass - 100% visibility - marlin leaping in front of boat and just a very light breeze and no cloud. BUT there is cyclone possibility - the last one to hit Cairns was late in cyclone season in March 2000- so your chances are pretty good of avoiding one. I'd definitely take the chance. Have a great trip!

This for Muck - it's not your Welsh feet - even my dogs can't walk on the sand in summer in the middle of the day. But that happen even in Sydney in summer.