Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Oz air carrier recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/oz-air-carrier-recommendation-1271261/)

jacketwatch Apr 7th, 2017 12:31 PM

Oz air carrier recommendation

We will need a RT Sydney-Brisbane in Dec. I know it's short but would appreciate recommendations.

Thank you.

Bokhara2 Apr 7th, 2017 04:24 PM

Qantas & Virgin are full service carriers,
Jetstar is qantas' low cost subsidiary.

Sydney to Brisbane is a popular route with many flights a day, so it's really just a matter of choosing a time & price that suits you.

They all have specials & I would sign up for their email alerts so you see when the good prices are. Be aware that, by the time you add in all the extras for Jetstar, either of the others can & often do, end up being the same or better price.

It's only about a 75 minute flight, so food is immaterial ( to me), but if it's important to you, QF & VA provide complimentary light meals, you may purchase alcohol. Jetstar charges for everything - even the right to select your seat!

They are all good airlines & reliability is as good with one or another.

Also be aware of cabin bag limits -7kgs max per person & stated size restrictions per airline websites.

michelhuebeli Apr 7th, 2017 07:44 PM

Where exactly are you headed? If it is not Brisbane (BNE) exactly, be aware that just south of Brisbane is the Coolangatta (OOL) airport serving the Gold Coast (Surfers Paradies etc,), and just north of Brisbane is the Maroochydore/Sunshine Coast airport (MCY). Both with daily nonstops to/from SYD.

jacketwatch Apr 7th, 2017 08:31 PM

Definitely Brisbane. Our niece is there.

jacketwatch Apr 9th, 2017 06:39 AM

I checked prices on Qantas and VA and its about $30.00 AUD less on Qantas. I think I'll go with them.

Any opinions about booking now vs. waiting in terms of price changes. We plan for early Dec.

Thank you.

Larry. :).

mcbg1 Apr 9th, 2017 09:48 AM

You can easily find 10% off coupons online for Virgin.

KayF Apr 9th, 2017 11:12 PM

Generally speaking, you will get the best prices by booking early. But it's possible there could be some special deals down the track. Sign up for emails from the airline if you want to wait and see.

Virgin and Qantas tend to have very similar airfare prices and also similar departure times.

Kay

jacketwatch Apr 10th, 2017 05:03 AM

I saw that when comparing prices, thank you.

yestravel Apr 10th, 2017 07:38 AM

I booked 4 internal flights for our trip this past winter. I got the best fares further out. The absoulte best fare I got I booked thru Expedia where I have never booked an airfare. It was on Virgin and I was nervous because it was so inexpensive compared to fares I could find on their websites. It worked out fine. After booking I continued getting the "deals" from the airlines and i thought fares went up.

jacketwatch Apr 10th, 2017 08:51 AM

Hmm. Looked at Kayak. Got VA for about $80.00 less.

jacketwatch Apr 10th, 2017 08:51 AM

Sorry I meant saw it for less. Did not book yet.

jacketwatch Apr 10th, 2017 09:17 AM

Wow! Expedia has it for $304.00 for 2 on Qantas, yes two and so I called Qantas and they said they could not price match. Quoted me $579.00 AUD per person! Yikes!

yestravel Apr 10th, 2017 10:03 AM

My Expedia fare was gone quickly and I never found similar low fares on it for my other 3 flights.

jacketwatch Apr 10th, 2017 10:32 AM

The online fares per the VA and qantas websites are around $360.00 USD for two but man calling Qantas was far more.

northie Apr 10th, 2017 11:34 PM

I always book direct with the airline and get fare watch from them .

jacketwatch Apr 27th, 2017 11:46 AM

Ok so Qantas fares per their website was about $60.00 more than VA and their fares were about $8.00 more per their website than on Expedia so I booked directly with VA per their website. No brainer really.

Thank you for the input!

jacketwatch Apr 27th, 2017 11:48 AM

Oh BTW it was $286.00 AUD on VA for two.