O'reilly's, Lamington National Park, Gold Coast, Qld

Feb 14th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

O'reilly's, Lamington National Park, Gold Coast, Qld

I'm organising a romantic weekend with my partner for December. I'm considering getting a rainforest canopy suite at O'reilly's in Lamington National Park.

The rooms sound quite good from the descriptions but I'm a tad skeptical of any hotel/resort that only provides teensy little pictures of the rooms.

My other concern is that the rooms don't appear to be air conditioned. I understand that we're going to be at a fairly high altitude, and that this should make things a bit cooler than ground level, but this is Qld in December and we're coming from Ireland!

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has stayed in one of these rooms. Can I expect to be comfortable? Can I expect the first class quality and service that is reasonable to expect given the $410/night price tag?
Feb 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Hi AZIG!

We always camp at Lamington National Park but I have just made a quick phone call for you and they stated that the Canopy Suites are not airconditioned but the Villas are.

It's always been expensive to stay at O'Reilly's and I'm surprised at that price that you aren't getting any meals included. The rooms do look rather nice though and of course, Lamington NP is a sensational spot and a beautiful drive to get to as well.

The walking tracks are fantastic and I've probably done maybe 6 of them - now you've got me wanting to go back again and I think I might organise a weekend with some friends when the weather cools a bit.

Hope this helps!
Feb 15th, 2010, 02:20 PM

AZIG

We have stayed at O'Reilly's twice in December. Once in December 2003 and once in December 2007, so I realize this info may be a bit outdated.

Both times we stayed in the Mountain View rooms. It had the same beautiful view, and felt luxurious enough to us, but I realize our rooms didn't have things like spa tubs and fireplaces (not sure about the other rooms). I can't comment on the Canopy Suites.

The first time we stayed there in December (both times were early to mid December) I would call the weather comfortable. We never wore shorts, but didn't need jackets except in the evenings. I did swim once but remember thinking it really wasn't warm enough.

The second time it was downright chilly. Wore jackets the whole time, no swimming that visit! And the fire in the library (I think that is where it was) came in very handy. I really don't think you need to be worried about no air conditioning, but of course you never know about the weather. I should also add that we are used to very hot and humid summers where we come from so we might have a bit more heat tolerance than you might coming from Ireland.

Your room rate includes morning and afternoon tea, but if you are staying there several days you should get a meal package as well. The first time we went we did the full package and it was simply too much food! The second time we just did Breakfast and Dinner, and frankly, if I went back, I would probably just do dinner. The cafe in the gift shop actually has some pretty good meals so if you wanted the occasional bkfst or lunch you might consider just eating there.

Hope this helps!
Feb 15th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Hi Toucan and AZIG,

Oh Toucan the summer of 2007/2008 was one of the wettest I can recall - we had relatives over from the UK and I don't think they had one fine day in three weeks! That December was pretty miserable, as I recall.

December 2009 - now talk about hot!! We've had a very hot summer this year and we are all over it quite frankly. So I guess you never can tell with the weather can you.

Regardless, Lamington NP is just a beautiful place and I'm sure you'll enjoy it regardless.
Feb 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM

LOL Stormbird, we did have some rainy days, but a good share of the time we were in the Atherton Tablelands and Daintree, so we figured we were in rainforests, so one should expect it We did have some fine days too, no worries!

Second that, no matter what Lamington NP is spectacular. We made the most of the hiking etc. I loved the area--which is why we went back of course.
Feb 16th, 2010, 03:45 AM

We have stayed at O'Reillys on a few occasions but never in the Canopy Suites. I would go for airconditioning in December. Mountain rooms are plain but very nice and have magnificent views - our last stay was in 2009.
At O'Reillys, there are no general stores to buy food, so it is best to organise a meal package. You can get cheaper dinners at the nearby cafe (also part of the guest house), but the guest house meals were great last year - also lovely morning and afternoon teas if you stay around during the day. As another respondent suggested, just get breakfast and dinner. Buy a light lunch from the cafe.
As a highlight during breakfast & dinner, the possums and birds come down into a glass area inside the restaurant and you can observe them close at hand.

On airconditioning -- I live in southern Australia, but couldn't do without an airconditioned room in Queensland in summer. Even though it is at a higher altitude than the Gold Coast, it isn't very high and can be quite hot and humid.
If you like hiking, you can walk the trail from O'Reillys to Binna Burra along the ridge track. There used to be a bus to take you one way so that it could be achieved in one day.

Book into the guided talks, especially from Michael O'Reilly who has a fantastic knowledge of the flora, fauna and history - a lovely elderly member of the original pioneer family. (Talks used to be free but now an extra cost!) Lots of beautiful walks. Take advantage of early morning and dusk when there are lots of native animals and birds around.
Be careful driving up the mountain as the road is very narrow and winding. There are some single-lane sections of road where you have to wait for oncoming traffic. Magnificent scenery on the way so allow plenty of time to travel up. It is one of my favourite national park locations.
You will enjoy it.
Feb 16th, 2010, 04:09 AM

Just an additional thought re O'Reillys. I think that there are ceiling fans in rooms which may be almost as good as airconditioners. Mountain view rooms have a balcony and a door which you can open to get a breeze at night.
If you decide to stay in a villa, you need to check how far away from the guest house it is located. Some villas are in a separate development downhill from the guesthouse. That means you have a very long walk to the guest house for meals - or need to drive at night because there is not much street lighting, and that is a nuisance. I don't know if the villas have ovens & cook tops for self-catering but if so you would buy your food before you reach the mountain.
From my observations, the villas are like separate holiday homes in a large real estate development with new sealed roads - just like a mini suburb. Someone else may have more information on this.

My choice would be to stay in guest house with easy access to restaurant.