Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Optimum time to visit both New Zealand and Australia (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/optimum-time-to-visit-both-new-zealand-and-australia-1004378/)

suepcohen Jan 29th, 2014 07:20 PM

Optimum time to visit both New Zealand and Australia

I am planning to travel to both Australia and New Zealand. Originally I was going in March but had to cancel the trip .Now my next opportunity is the end of October beginning of November. Is this a good time weatherwise to go to New Zealand and Australia? I've read mixed reports and I'm concerned about making a good decision.
I am concerned about rain, excessive humidity,and bugs in Australia and serious cold and rainy weather around Milford sound in New Zealand.
Would October and November work or should I put it off another year and go in March . what do you think???
I appreciate you help!

My itinerary includes Melbourne,AliceSpring,Cairns,Sydney,Queens Town and Aukland.

tripplanner001 Jan 29th, 2014 07:44 PM

Go for it, Sue. October / November is spring and will be a beautiful time to visit Australia and New Zealand. It may begin to get humid in and around Cairns, and it may be hot (though a dry heat) in Alice Springs, but it will be gorgeous in Sydney, Melbourne, and Auckland. I have not been to Queenstown, so someone else may be able to chime in.

marg Jan 29th, 2014 08:43 PM

I agree with triplanner - spring in both countries should be a good time to travel. I'd start in the north of Australia and work your way south, leaving Melbourne to the end of your stay.

sartoric Jan 29th, 2014 08:57 PM

Agree with both posts above. Start in the north and work down.

As for Queenstown, I visited the South Island in Feb, it's supposed to be the warmest month. I froze my butt off. You may be used to cooler weather.

Take the chance with the weather, there's always an op shop with an ugly $5 parka that can be donated back before you leave.

Enjoy, and ask this forum any questions, there's good advice to be had here.

annhig Jan 30th, 2014 12:58 PM

sue, we just did a trip to Oz and NZ in November and December and on the whole had pretty good weather though NZ we had some rain inNZ on and off for a few days.

Oct/nov should be fine.

suepcohen Jan 31st, 2014 06:01 PM

Thanks for responding. It sounds like October-November will work!

peterSale Feb 3rd, 2014 07:49 PM

The best time to travel anywhere is when you have the time!

We've just come back from 6 weeks in England and Wales. Many said we were crazy. But this is the only time we had, being teachers.

Oct/nov will be fine not too hot/cold wet/dry

annhig Feb 4th, 2014 01:57 PM

We've just come back from 6 weeks in England and Wales. Many said we were crazy. But this is the only time we had, being teachers.>>

Peter, just be grateful you're not here now - another bout of very wet and windy weather is battering us as I write. i hope that our awful weather this year didn't spoil our trip too much.

peterSale Feb 4th, 2014 02:03 PM

We were lucky. We only had about 4 days where the weather stopped us walking, but had lovely drives instead.

annhig Feb 4th, 2014 02:38 PM

I'm glad that the weather didn't slow you down, Peter. I think that you WERE lucky, given the weather we've had this year.