Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Opera House Performance?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/opera-house-performance-222808/)

DawnF Jan 29th, 2003 06:55 AM

Opera House Performance??

Hi everyone! Looking to book what is called Starry Nights. Has anyone done this? <BR><BR>You get your choice of Bennelong or Aria -- which one? all opinions welcomed!<BR><BR>Performances during the time we are there (June) are limited but there is a play at the PLAYHOUSE called Birthrights we may see? Is it worth it to actually see a performance if its not in one of the &quot;big&quot; theaters?<BR><BR>Thanks for the help!<BR>Dawn

Travelnick Jan 29th, 2003 04:09 PM

I think Aria is a much more elegant restaurant, despite Bennelong being in the Opera House itself (actually Opera House inside is starting to look its age). Food, do not know but both are well reviewed - lots of Sydney restaurant reviews are available on internet - check those out.

Alan Jan 29th, 2003 05:50 PM

Hi, DawnF!<BR>There are several smaller theatres in the Opera House complex, so if you are booked into one of these you will at least get to stroll around the grounds... but, to be honest, I don't think it IS worth it if you can't get into the Opera Theatre or Concert Hall. The smaller theatres are just...well, small theatres! I am not surprised that you can't get into one of the operas, as they are usually heavily-booked and standing room is limited.... but the huge Concert Hall always seems to have seats empty, even for the top-drawer attractions. If I were you, I would forget the whole thing and turn up at the box office when I arrived.

Lucy_of_Oz Jan 29th, 2003 07:49 PM

I had lunch at Aria just the other week - sublime! Plus the good thing about eating there (as opposed to Bennelong)is that the Opera house is part of your view!

Lindsey Jan 30th, 2003 11:13 PM

If you are only booking tickets for a performance so you can see the inside of the OPera House, take the tour instead. It's about 90 min, and reasonably priced (I think it's still under $AUS20). It's extremely informative and occasionally the guides will take you into the one of the &quot;big theatres&quot; to watch a bit of a rehearsal.<BR>Then go back and have lunch or dinner in your choice of restaurant.

LN Jan 31st, 2003 08:44 AM

We took the tour (which was very good) and there were many people on the tour. We also booked one of the shows at a smaller theater and thoroughly enjoyed it and we had dinner at the Bennelong and cocktails outside. If you're going to be in Sydney then why not! It'll be awhile before you're back again.<BR><BR>I remember the show we saw was &quot;Paul Capsis&quot; someone my husband and I had never heard of but as the evening ensued we laughed so hard we were crying at times. everyone in the small theater gave him a standing ovation at the end of the show. The show was great and as good as I've seen at the Kennedy Center, Las Vegas, Broadway or Atlantic City. <BR><BR>