Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   On Indian Pacific Train from Sydney to Ayers Rock (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/on-indian-pacific-train-from-sydney-to-ayers-rock-214540/)

Elaine & Don Dec 11th, 2001 04:18 AM

On Indian Pacific Train from Sydney to Ayers Rock

Need help planning the train trip on the Indian Pacific Train with just the segment to Alice Spring or Ayers Rock. <BR><BR> Also, please recommended tours once there!!! After Ayers Rock/Alice Spring would like to fly to either Cairns or back to Sydney. Any recommendations?<BR><BR>Thanks for help.<BR><BR>Don

Jenn Dec 11th, 2001 10:07 PM

Elaine & Don, I think you might be a bit confused. The Indian Pacific Train doesn't go through Alice Springs or Ayers Rock. It goes across the south end of Australia, about 800km south of Alice Springs. If you wanted to get to Alice by train from Sydney, you could get the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Adelaide, then you would have to change trains to get the Ghan from Adelaide to Alice Springs (it doesn't go out to Ayers Rock). Unless you absolutely love train travel, I wouldn't recommend this, I don't know how long it takes, but it would have to be at least 2 1/2 days straight on the train. The scenery will probably be more varied on the east coast (ie the Sydney area) than the Adelaide - Alice Springs trip, but I'll let somebody else recommend, as I have driven this section so often I think I probably take it for granted! Have a wonderful time.

Rhonda Dec 13th, 2001 03:25 PM

Elaine & Don,<BR><BR>Jenn is right. The Indian Pacific doesn't go to Alice Springs. There's an article from the Sydney Morning Herald you may find interesting about it.<BR><BR>http://www.smh.com.au/travel/0112/08/travel2.html<BR><BR>There's also a web site mentioned which may help you with your planning :<BR><BR>www.trainways.com.au

Don Dec 15th, 2001 06:39 AM

Thanks for your response.<BR><BR>Yes, I didn't know which train went from Sydney to Alice Springs but now I do!!!<BR><BR>We've heard conflciting reports about the excursio and don't know if it's worthy of the time; perhaps, we should just fly there.<BR><BR>What do you think?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Don<BR>

Lizzy Dec 15th, 2001 11:51 AM

Fly Don and spend the rest of the time in Cairns and around the Barrier Reef area. Depends too when you want to go.

marg Dec 16th, 2001 09:18 PM

Fly!! We have driven that route a number of times and there is not a lot to see. You can fly direct to the Yulara township and then either hire a car or do a coach trip to the Rock. Also make sure you go to the Olgas - great walk there through the Valley of the Winds. Kings Canyon (about 200 km from Yulara) is also worth visiting - again a great walk (about 3 hours) around the rim of the canyon.

Michael May 5th, 2002 11:22 AM

Let me play the devil's advocate to these fine folks who recommend against the train. Understand, I am not from Australia, but am planning my third trip there in July 2002.Also, I LOVE TRAINS!bI took the Indian Pacific across Australia, Sydney to Perth, and loved it. My wife hated it. This train was the best way to see the interior. Sure, it is stark as the plains of Mars, but awesome in that starkness. Relax, read, meet new friends, escape to another world that you will not see any other place on earth. The Ghan is the train from Sydney to Alice Springs, leaving from Sydney only on Sundays. Arrive Tuesday in Alice Springs. No doubt that the scenery to Alice Springs, in the latter stages, will be as featureless as was the scenery to Perth. But is this a bad thing. The Ghan is one of the better trains in the world. It is not just a way to get there, it is part of getting there. What a great opportunity to be with family and friends. Again, this is a unique continent, unlike any other. No doubt that Cairns, Sydney, thye Gold Coast, are great spots, not to be missed. But, you want to see Australia in her heart, in her soul, as she has been for eons....go to the outback. Take the train, rediscover yourself, and discover the heart of Australia. Okay! I again remind you, I love trains, and that may be the ingredient that turns a vacation trip into a great vacation trip!