Notices

NZ SI 13 days trip

Feb 10th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

NZ SI 13 days trip

Hi peeps,

I am going to NZ SI with my parents end of this month and I have worked out an itinerary by myself and wondering if you could have look see if it is possible or if I need to change anything. Thanks in advance!

Take off on 27th Feb from Mel to QT, stay in QT for 2 nights. then drive from QT to Lake Tekapo (will stop at Mt Cook for 3 hours) on 1st March. spend 1 night at Lake Tekapo to see the milky way and then drive to Arthurs' Pass on 2nd March. Stay in Arthurs' pass 2 nights. On 4th March drive from Arthurs' pass to Franz Joseph. Stay 1 night at Franz Joseph, on 5th March do the Glacier walking. then drive to Fox Glacier for Lake Matheson. Stay in Fox Glacier for two nights. On 7th March drive to Wanaka, stay 2 nights there. then head back to QT on 9th March. stay in QT for 1 night then drive to Milford Sound for 3 days & 2 night. back to QT on 12th. relax in QT and fly back to Mel on 13th March.
Feb 10th, 2015, 04:25 PM

You've got a very fast-paced, jam packed, heavy-on-the-driving itinerary. I hope your parents are as energetic as you are.

A few comments:

Lake Tekapo to Arthur's Pass is a 4.5 hour drive. Have you booked accommodation in AP yet? If not, you could very well find yourselves homeless, as there's just not much accommodation there to begin with.

Franz and Fox are only 45 minutes apart. Personally, I'd rather stay in one or the other, and visit both from one base - in this instance I'd rather backtrack than switch accommodation, but I see where you're going with your plan, and it's certainly doable.

What do you plan to do in Milford for two nights? There's nothing there other than the wharf, a café and a hostel. There aren't even any walks (other than one 20 min stroll) in Milford.

I'd suggest driving from Wanaka to Te Anau (3:20) and spending two nights in Te Anau. This will give you one full day to see Milford from Te Anau, which is enough time to take a cruise, explore Milford Road and even hike to Key Summit and back. This also prevents staying in QT on three separate occasions, two of them for one night stays.

This will free up a night to use elsewhere.

If your only plan for Fox is to see Lake Matheson, you could get by with one night there too. If you plan to hike in the area, two makes more sense.
Feb 10th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank Melnq8. I do appreciate your suggestion. I will adjust my itinerary accordingly.

Search this Thread