Ghost towns on Grand Circle road trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending two weeks going the Grand Circle in August - Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce, Moab, Grand Canyon North Rim, Monument Valley and Lake Powell.

My kids will be 5 and 7 and we think they would get a kick out of stopping at a ghost town-type location. Are there any good ones you can recommend on this route??
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Two Guns Arizona is not far off I-40 on the old Rt. 66.
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/twoguns.html
There are others but they are mostly along the railroad lines.
Along another section of the old Rt. 66 you will find the Grand Canyon Caverns. Two Guns is not too far from the meteor crater.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 05:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think there are some ghost towns in the Kanab area. I read about it but have never been there.

I believe some of it might have been used for movies.

I think I read somewhere they tried to revive the area. Don't know if it ever came about.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Check out Kanab--not ghost town--just the old Paria movie set. But its a great little town and the Rocking V is an AWESOME restaurant!!
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 06:18 PM

Carrie,

Where are you traveling from? You do realize it's going to be HOT in August? With the number of destinations you have planned, I hope your little ones are good for many hours of driving at a time!

There is a bit of the old pioneer town of Grafton just outside Springdale, UT (Zion). This is where many scenes from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were filmed. Etta Place's home no longer exists, but several other old buildings and the settler's cemetary are still there. Not a whole lot to see. You might want to be sure to have at least all wheel drive to get there. Kind of a rough dirt road.

There is also the old settlement of Paria just east of Kanab. Not much left as the settlers got flooded out too many times and left. Clint Eastwood built a false front western movie set here for Outlaw Josie Wales. Unfortunately, most of it burned down a few years ago - arson.

The town of Kanab has a little western movie attraction/museum. It was closed the last time I was there, so can't say much more about it.

The Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is just west of Kanab. You and your kids might find it a nice short visit.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 04:14 PM

Grafton from Rockville, Silver Reef from Leeds.

Too bad Paria was burned, that was a good one.