NZ and Moorea or Just NZ?

Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

NZ and Moorea or Just NZ?

My future husband and I are planning our honeymoon. We have 15 days to spend in November of this year. I am interested in both laid back tropical beach scenery and also beautiful mountains, hiking, fjords, etc. Is it better to spend 15 days in New Zealand (travelling both north and south island) or stopping in Tahiti or Moorea (airline offers free stop over) for 5 nights and then continuing onto New Zealand for 9 nights (South island only probably)? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Jul 24th, 2005, 11:17 AM
ALF

A stopover in French Polynesia would be a great idea, and it would allow you to break up your long flight in at least one direction. In order to maximize your time in NZ, you could shorten your time in Moorea to perhaps only 3 days. It is a small island, and you can see much of it in just a couple of days. You may just want to lie on a beach also. This will still give you a dozen days to see NZ; not enough, to be sure, but enough to do a nice circle of the best parts of the South Island.
Jul 24th, 2005, 04:49 PM

15 days is such a short time that I would spend it all in NZ. You still have a pretty long flight from Tahiti to NZ and my feeling is just get it over with in one shot. You will feel 15 days isn't even enough for one island when you get there. And assuming you are coming from the US it is relatively easy to get week-long packages for Tahiti (maybe a nice first anniversary vacation).
Jul 24th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Just NZ for sure. Even just the south island if you only have 2 weeks. I'm returning there as soon as I have enuf vacation.

Jul 28th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Moorea is great...especially the Sheraton with rooms over the water,but you should just do NZ.

I think too many people try to change locations too much on vacations. The hassle factor is large, especially with planes. You spend a lot of your vacation waiting for planes and dealing with delays. Avoid as many flight changes as you can.

I would focus on seeing NZ (Queenstown is great) and doing Moorea on another trip.

No matter what you do...both locations are outstanding.