Search

Internship in Sydney for 3 months

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internship in Sydney for 3 months

Hello All,

I am from the United States and I am doing an internship in Sydney for 3 months. I leave on Monday. I'm so excited. I wanted to see what you guys thought I should do while there.

Follow my adventures on my blog at: http://www.aarongayhart.blogspot.com

You can let me know here or on my blog!

Thanks guys,
Aaron
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM
dkw

What a great opportunity Aaron!! You will find so much to do here in Sydney....there's something interesting on all the time!

Are you able to extend your trip beyond the 3 months and travel around the country a bit? lots of places to go and things to see that are a fair bit away and would require more than a weekend to see.

I posed pretty much the same questiion when we moved here from Detroit 3 years ago and got some GREAT responses. We've been working our way down the list slowly, but surely. That thread is here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...-to-sydney.cfm

In addition to the thread, here are some thing we have enjoyed while here:

Lunch at the Fish Market (they alsonhave a great cooking school there)
Are you runner? There are always fun running events...the Biggest and best is the City to Surf in August
Surfing Lessons at Manly Surf School
Day or weekend in the Blue Mts.
Big holiday coming up.....Australia Day.....Lot's going on in the CBD and Rocks on that day.
Do you like to hike or mountain bike? Terrey Hills, on the North Shore has some excellent opportunities for both Biking and hiking.
Sea Kayaking tours in Middle Harbour from the Spit
Manly to Spit bush walk
Bondi to Coogee Ocean side walk.
F1 race in Melbourne in March

Well....there's a start for you. I'm sure lots of other will chime in with great ideas as they did when we were relocating. Do you know which suburb you will be staying in? Transport here is great, especially if you live near a train line.

Feel free to come back with any other questions you may come up with.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

My family is coming in for a few weeks after I leave. So I will really be there for four months. My program is through a study abroad so they have lots of weekend excursions and such. I can't wait to travel around. I will be living in the waterloo area
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 03:03 AM

Check out this website for suggestions on day trips.
www.cityhobo.com/day-trips/sydney
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Aaron, you'll learn to love it.

Some parts of Sydney take a bit longer to get to know and love than others. Waterloo used to be all industrial and low-income, it is gradually being gentrified - also get on your bike (for example from http://hellonwheels.com.au) and explore other such places like nearby Newtown, there are gems of little stores and eateries and such to be found in streets that look not attractive at first glance, like King Street for example. Nearby Redfern has had its ups and downs, you'll soon hear all about it.

If you have not already done so, you must get a copy of the book by Hughes, The Fatal Shore, you'll be fascinated by reading it right where the story takes place, and it will open your eyes to Australia in ways that will stick with you.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 02:02 PM

Hi, welcome to Sydney! I think you will like us here!

In Sydney there are lots of creative businesses and interesting cafés sprouting up in the areas surrounding Waterloo, as Michelhuebeli says. Erskinevile has some great cafés, and in Alexandria there is a café / deli complex called Salt Meats Cheese, which is packed every weekend for the coffee. Really interesting shop with fascinating foods from around the world. Also if you are here any time up to April, the beaches are great, although don't take a car as it's getting harder and harder to find parking. From Waterloo I would say catch a bus into Central, and then from there a bus to Coogee. Seriously, though, wear sunscreen and a hat, as we have a big problem with the hole in the ozone layer here, and you will get sunburn.

You will be able to take weekend trips to places up to about 250km away - the Blue Mountains, Port Stephens, the Southern Highlands, the Shoalhaven (Kiama, Gerringong / Geroa, Berry), and even to Canberra, particularly if you are interested in museums and galleries. Don't be put off by Canberra - it used to be the case that it was a sterile city, but we go regularly. Before our daughter was born it was for the exhibitions and galleries, and now it's for the things it offers for kids, but you will also find scores of fantastic restaurants and bars. There are also wineries next to Lake George, just outside Canberra.

Have fun!

Lavandula
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 10:25 PM

Aaron was here in 2011, mates!
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 08:18 PM

I did my volunteership at an orphanage. My experience at orphanage in Australia, Melbourne.I really enjoyed volunteering at this orphanage. I stayed here for two months. My duty as a volunteer was to play with children, walk them to school, help them with their English, hug them and be there for them in the first place. The children were always very happy and motivated to learn new things. They enjoyed playing games both out and inside. They are really happy when some volunteers are around, they really enjoyed their presence. There were fourteen children at the orphanage while I was there. I did my volunteership in Australia through http://www.theinterngroup.com/australia/