Search

North west tas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North west tas

We are leaving for OZ trip in 4 days...Staying in Hobart, driving to Strahan,overnight there and doing Gordon river cruise[upper deck thx!]. We will drive to Cradle Mtn Lodge after cruise and stay the night there. after some morning walks we thought we'd go to NW. Is Burnie a good place to stay to go further west the next day? Any places along the coast you could recommend?We have booked The Edwardian B&B in Launceston for following night.Any must see/do's you could suggest? we want to visit wineries and cheese /honey places!
Thanks
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM

This may be a bit late. We went to Tassie this time last year and really enjoyed that upper deck Gordon River experience.Out of Launceston you could try Pipers Brook winery and in Launceston itself the tour of the Boag's Beer Museum and factory is more interesting than it may sound.Try to get to the fabulous lavender farm as the flowers will all be in bloom now and it is huge! Have fun!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Also quite close to Launceston is the Woolmers Estate - old homestead/buildings beautifully restored and also the National Rose Garden - absolutely stunning acres of roses which hopefully would still be blooming.
Can also recommend Ashgrove Cheese Factory in the same area.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:43 AM

One of my absolute favourite places in Tassie is Stanley on the NW coast. But to go from Burnie to there, and see what there is to see, and get back to Launceston the same evening is a non-starter.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your suggestions...bummer, wanted to go to Stanley, so maybe I'll change Launceston overnight. We were there last time..did see Lavender fields and lunch at Strathlyns..awesome!.
fuzzylogic...
Where would be a good overnight spot from Cradle Mtn to get to Stanley? Could we leave Cradle at noon and drive to Stanley?
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We drove from Cradle Mountain to Stanley - I checked my notes, but didn't note the driving time. We left Cradle Mountain in the morning, stopped for lunch in Burnie and were in Stanley by mid afternoon.

Be sure to walk to the top of the Nut (takes only 10 minutes, but it's steep). Wilderness to West Coast offers some good evening penguin tours - The Dovecote Motel Restaurant and Stanley's on the Bay has good meals.

Have fun.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We stayed at the Cradle Mountain Wilderness Village - highly recommend.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM

I second Prue's recommendation re Woolmers.We had a nice lunch there and you can opt to inspect the homestead and garden or just the garden.After lunch we only had time for Rose garden but it was magnificent and they should all be out now.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the wonderful ideas! We leave in the morning for our 7 week adventure!
Cheers for now...