New Zealand Photos by Melissa5 February 2007 trip

Nov 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

New Zealand Photos by Melissa5 February 2007 trip

My husband and I had a fantastic February 2007 anniversary trip to New Zealand. Finally, here is a link to some of our favorite photos, with captions! (Hopefully this will work! )
http://picasaweb.google.com/wingsonm...ndFebruary2007
Nov 5th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Great pictures Melissa!
Nov 5th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Meliss5, great pictures. Way to go! So when are you going back? We're trying to figure out when ourselves.
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Melissa5

Enjoyed your photos....we had planned to see Doubtful Sound on our trip in Feb 2008.

I have been going through all the posts and what a big help.

Wish I had a firm arrival date into Christchurch, as of now could be as early as Feb 3rd or as late as Feb 10th.

Kat
Nov 5th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Melnq8 and BillJ, thanks so much! 8-) My son is giving me weekly computer lessons. I am very slow and test his patience. But finally I have my first web album!

Later I might add some photos and delete others. Some of the photos need editing too. But I was excited to be able to post a web album for the first time!

I started out with over 200 photos of the Doubtful Sound overnight alone!!! It took me 9 months to sort through them, delete the awful ones, and choose a small number for my first album.

BillJ: You can bet we're going back! I was so delighted when we returned home and my husband said, that was great, and the Air New Zealand flight made it enjoyable, we should go back again! It's a miracle, since he is usually the one who wants to explore the whole world before he returns somewhere. When? Can't tell yet. How about you?

katnwill: Good luck with pinning down that arrival date! Are you still going to do the Doubtful Sound overnite in February 2008?

Nov 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Melissa5

Yes we are going to Doubtful Sound for an overnight. Found your packing list interesting, I had planned on shorts, tees and hiking boots and a light waterproof jacket. I will now revised that to include long pants, heavier shirts and more socks. Can't say I care too much for biting flies and I take the local hikes that prove too heavy on the fly inventory off my list...which in this area still works because of all the great trails we have.

Nov 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

katnwill, our experience was that the biting little flies were confined to particular areas near still water. So most of our trails had no fly problems. For us the weather was fine to wear long sleeves and long pants and socks, which largely prevents a lot of the fly problem...along with some insect repellant. Also the antihistamine cream was the best stuff to put on the few bites that we did get...takes the itch away. Also the flies can't take windy weather, so if it's windy they can't stick around.

We watched a Scottish man scratching his hands over and over and his bites looked terrible, so we realized right away that the locals gave good advice when they said, just don't scratch. Plus when you use the antihistamine cream, it takes away the urge to scratch anyway. I felt that the fly problem has been exaggerated on-line...it really wasn't a big deal, especially if you take the precautions mentioned.
You'll love the Doubtful Sound overnight! One thing we wish we had done, but it didn't occur to us at the time. If it's a clear night, there you are out in the middle of nowhere, without any city lights. So go out on deck and look at the stars! Ahhhh! Why didn't it occur to us? We heard some other couples reporting how romantic it was.

If you are going as a couple on the Doubtful Sound overnight, another hint...on some nights after dinner they offer a slide show. But this is the time of sunset, so you'll miss watching the sunset on deck if you attend the slide show. If the weather is nice the sunset is better! I saw the sunset alone, while my husband attended the slide show. I couldn't blame him since we hadn't discussed this in advance. But overall we still had a wonderful romantic trip.

Nov 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Jed

Great pictures. Thanks for the memories.
Nov 9th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Jed, thanks and you're welcome. New Zealand guarantees memories that sing in your poetic soul and call you back... Even if you've never been a poet before! It's one of the most unforgettable places on earth. ><

This was my first attempt at a web album. I can't believe I put in some photos of hotel rooms and left out some photos of gorgeous scenery and interesting wildlife. I guess I was going for a balance of different types of photos.
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Hi Melissa:
We're hoping to do a 25th. anniversary trip to the south island Feb. 2009. I saw some photos of the Routeburn track, did you do the whole thing? What did you think?
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

rickandpat, New Zealand is great for a 25th anniversary trip! That's what we did. We didn't do the whole Routeburn track. We did a day-hike from both ends.

I have a few more photos if you want to see them. I also have a long trip report for NZ here on fodors and also on tripadvisor.

I was so entranced by the beautiful nature hike from one end of the Routeburn track that I didn't realize how far we had gone...we ended up hiking 8 miles in one day, which is very far for me! We hiked all the way to the first overnite hut, but we didn't have a bunk reservation...we were so tired we ended up wishing we had our sleeping bags, but of course we had to walk all the way back to the parking lot...(8 miles total, round trip.) It's a lovely hike, with a river below you... Bring binoculars for bird-spotting. Right now, I don't remember which end of the hike I liked better, but I could consult my notes...one end is closer to Queenstown (a day-trip from Queenstown) and the other end is closer to Te Anau (drive down Milford Road to get to the trail). We just packed a lunch and snacks and water, and did day-hikes. I also brought along pen and paper to write some poetry and we brought cameras. A very pleasant memory.

I wish I was younger, as after doing a day-hike on the Routeburn track, I'm interested in the 5-night Milford track, but I'm not in very good shape and I wish I had done the Milford track when I was younger.

The great thing about the routeburn track is that you can turn around and go back whenever you want.

I know I've seen your name on another forum...Ireland? Italy? Costa Rica?

Let us know what you're planning! I'm excited for you.