New Zealand, North or South Island

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand, North or South Island

My Husband and I are planning a two week trip in August and will be spending most of it in Australia. Due to time limits, we can't visit both all of New Zealand so we have to pick the North or South Island. Can anyone give me some ideas of which one is better for the short five days we'll be there? After researching both I'm torn!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 10:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I much prefer the south over the north, but with only five days, you won't see much. Two weeks just isn't sufficient time to visit both Australia and even a bit of NZ IMO. Suggest you spend all of your time in Australia and save NZ for another time when you can do it justice.

But if you've got your heart set on doing both, I'd suggest you fly to Queenstown on the SI, base yourselves there and take day trips to attractions in the vicinity, such as Milford Sound, Glenorchy, etc.

Will you arrive via Auckland or Christchurch?
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
esl

Funny, this caught my eye...I had the post about doing Melbourne and Sydney but also had the thought of going over to NZ as well.

Even two weeks in Australia can;t ever do it justice. But then again, I figure, who knows when I will have the chance to do it again, you know?
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM

As much as I love New Zealand, I'm going to agree with Melnq8 and suggest you spend all your time in Australia.

Lee Ann
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Forget Australia. Spend all your time in New Zealand, it's smaller, yet with so much diversity you'll easily fill all your time - mountains, glaciers, forests, lakes, rivers, islands, beautiful coastline, beaches, whale watcing, penguin watching, Maori culture, cultural cities great restaurants and cafes ...