Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   New Zealand - 12 Nights Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/new-zealand-12-nights-trip-1026934/)

Himanshi Oct 3rd, 2014 11:07 AM

New Zealand - 12 Nights Trip

Hi, We are planning our family trip with 2 kids (3 & 7) for 12 nights to NZ. We would want to cover main highlights for both islands. Please provide your feedback so we can modify it to make it more efficient.

1. Sat, 11/22 - Fly out of EWR
2. Sun, 11/23 - In Flight
QUEENSTOWN - 4 NIGHTS
3. Mon, 11/24- Reach Auckland 6 AM, Take flight to Queenstown; check in- relax, skyline gondola
4. Tues, 11/25
- Local Queenstown
- 4-5 hour trip to Glenorchy (Definitely drive to Glenorchy while in QT. It is the most lovely drive on the planet. Excellent scenery - 45 min drive from Queenstown.)
5. Wed, 11/26- Visit Mount Cook via Wanaka & Arrowtown (3 hours & 15 min drive)
6. Thurs, 11/27 (Drive to Milford Sound is 2 hr 15 mins)
- Stop at Te Anau (Best Luge Ride)
- Explore Fiordland National Park
- Take the Milford sound cruise. (you must avoid the cruises that leave between 10am-11:30am, which are full of busloads of tourists. These copious amounts of tourists stop arriving by noon or so. We took an early afternoon cruise, and there were very very few of us on board. That was the consistent advice we got from this forum, and it was accurate - opt for the 1:50 pm Mitre Peak cruise.)
- On way back, stop at the Chasm, take the Chasm walk
FRANZ GLACIER - 1 NIGHT
7. Fri, 11/28 - Check out from Queenstown and drive to Franz/Fox Glacier (4.5 hours drive)
CHRISTCHURCH- 3 NIGHTS
8. Sat, 11/29- Check out and drive to Christchurch via Greymouth/Arthur's Pass/Christchurch (4.5 hours drive)
9. Sun, 11/30- Christchurch - lords of the Ring
10. Mon, 12/1 - Local Christchurch
AUCKLAND - 4 NIGHTS
Tues, 12/2- Fly to Auckland & Check in Auckland hotel
Wed, 12/3 - 1 day trip to waitomo Caves
Thurs, 12/4 - 1 day trip to Rotorua - polynesia spa (open till 11 pm)
Fri, 12/5- Fly Back to EWR

Melnq8 Oct 3rd, 2014 04:53 PM

Hi Hinamshi -

You've made the classic mistake of trying to do too much in too little time. The fact that you'll have small children with you makes it all the more unreasonable.

<<5. Wed, 11/26- Visit Mount Cook via Wanaka & Arrowtown (3 hours & 15 min drive)>>

WHY? The drive from QT to Mount Cook is more like 3:45 and remember that's ONE WAY. I fail to see the point of driving over seven hours to visit a place you'll have no time to experience once you get there. What exactly are you hoping to see/do in Mt Cook with so little time? You'll have no time to see Wanaka and Arrowtown either.

<<6. Thurs, 11/27 (Drive to Milford Sound is 2 hr 15 mins)<<

The drive from Queenstown to Milford is FOUR hours - EACH WAY.

Yes, it's possible to drive from Queentown to Milford and return in a day, a very LONG day, but because it's eight hours of driving, there's no time to do much other than take a cruise and take a very short walk or two. I never recommend visiting Milford in a day from QT - it's just too much. Your kids will be bored to tears.

The luge is in QT, so I'm not following the <<Stop at Te Anau (Best Luge Ride)>> bit.

<<7. Fri, 11/28 - Check out from Queenstown and drive to Franz/Fox Glacier (4.5 hours drive)>>

This drive will take you at least six hours. If you drive to Christchurch the following day, you'll have barely enough time to see the glaciers, let alone walk, or see much of the area. I suggest a minimum of two nights at the glaciers, which gives you one full day to see the area.

Please reconsider this itinerary. I highly recommend you stick to one island only - you'll be glad you did.

ElendilPickle Oct 4th, 2014 11:08 AM

I can't help with the South Island, but Melnq8 has given you great advice about not rushing from place to place. It takes longer to get places in New Zealand than you'd think it would.

If you still plan to see a bit of the North Island, I would fly into Rotorua, rent a car, spend a day there, then go to Waitomo and on up to Auckland.

Lee Ann

dottyp Oct 5th, 2014 06:16 PM

I don't see a lot in this itinerary that your young children are going to enjoy. I remember my children being totally bored and grumpy while we were driving from Picton to Christchurch regardless of which way we went - and we know some different routes.
I agree with Melnq8 that you are trying to achieve too much, which might be all right for two adults but not little ones. I would leave North Island for another time. In Wanaka is a place called Puzzle World that the children may find fun.

Himanshi Oct 7th, 2014 06:08 AM

Thank you - we are modifying our initial itinerary and will post soon for more feedback.