Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   New Years in Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/new-years-in-sydney-235619/)

AJ Jun 30th, 2002 09:40 AM

New Years in Sydney

We will be spending New Years Eve, and the days following, in Sydney, 2 blocks from the Harbor Bridge / Opera House. What kind of celebratory events will take place?

Alan Jul 1st, 2002 03:29 PM

Hi, AJ!<BR>On New Year's Eve, don't stray too far from the hotel, will you, as you are right in the thick of the celebrations. You will see a fireworks display (actually two... one at around 9 p.m. for the families and another at midnight) all around the harbour, and the lighting up of the Bridge is the highlight, so stand where you are in sight of it. If your hotel has a view of the Bridge, you're in luck... otherwise the crowds start to form in the best view-spots from mid-morning. From New Year's Day onwards, alas, you won't find a lot of festivities, as most of Australia goes back to work on around January 3. The one exception to this is the schools... this is our main school holiday period (to end-January), and there will be lots of sctivities for children in Sydney, most of them centred around the Rocks (at Circular Quay)or Darling Harbour. The shopping is good in the early days of the New Year, however, as the large department stores are clearing stock after the Christmas-present rush. The best bargains are often in the suburbs, however, so you may need to hop a train to go to places like Parramatta, Bankstown, Chatswood, Hurstville.... places where the train lets you off right at the main shops. The city itself has declined as a shopping mecca in recent years, as the suburban malls have opened, and the area around Town Hall, once a good shopping area, now has a lot of tacky shops with loudspeakers out the front and nothing inside that will last you until you get on the plane.<BR>Have a great time!

AJ Jul 1st, 2002 08:26 PM

Alan - <BR>Thanks so much for all your info. I am so excited about the entire trip...Melbourne and Cairns also before going on to Sydney. Spent the past 2 New Year's in Bangkok and Cabo, Mexico. Every year I try to do it one better. Can't wait to be in Oz. <BR><BR>Help me with this pronounciation, please. Quay = key...right?

Alan Jul 2nd, 2002 05:24 AM

Right, AJ.. Circular Key. My only worry about this New Year's trip is.... whatever will you do for December 31, 2003?

AJ Jul 2nd, 2002 06:05 AM

Either on a safari in Africa or in Bejing.<BR><BR>I want to see it all!<BR><BR>And you? Where will you be to welcome in 2002?

Alan Jul 2nd, 2002 09:34 PM

Right here at the computer, AJ, taking other people's holidays in my mind! I fear that I am just a surrogate world traveller!

AJ Jul 3rd, 2002 05:03 AM

Don't just sit on your butt, get out and see the world. Life is way too short.<BR>It's only money.....