New Year's Eve in Sydney

Aug 17th, 1998, 06:02 PM
Jan

New Year's Eve in Sydney

Will be in Sydney on New Year's Eve. Understand the celebration will include fireworks in Sydney Harbour. Where is the best place to be on this night, to view the fireworks, any other ideas?

Aug 18th, 1998, 05:45 PM
michael

Anywhere on the harbour, the place is packed as it is a big night, main fireworks around 9pm , more at midnight, expect to be among a huge crowd, most vantage points on the harbour are fine, the best ones you would need to get to hours before hand,
its a GREAT night for everyone

Sep 8th, 1998, 12:02 AM
David Wayne

Here are my top 5 places to watch the 9pm fireworks (the midnight fireworks aren't as good and there are too many other better things to be doing)

Please don't tell these to anyone in Sydney

1. By far - the top floor of the Gazebo hotel at Kings Cross. There is a small wine bar there with a balcony and uninterrupted views of the harbour and skyline. Get there at least 1/2 hour ahead.

2. A boat on the harbour anywhere

3. Under the northern pylon of the Harbour Bridge (very crowded but what a view). Make sure you can see the top of the bridge, stand at the outside edge of the park, not directly under the bridge

4. Lady McQuarie's chair also crowded

5. Watson's Bay

Sep 11th, 1998, 12:46 AM
Michelle

Jan
I would second the recommendation for the 9pm fireworks - they are better. The best spot (on land) I've been is Kirribilli, the northern end of the harbour bridge. I used to live there and the view of the fireworks is sensational - you are right underneath them. It gets very crowded - and you can't bring a car into the area at all from the day before (not that you would - it is packed and there's nowhere to park!). Get a ferry over to Kirribilli or Luna Park from circular quay, or a train from the city to Milsons Point. Walk around to the bridge and stand as far to the east in the park as you can. Personally I think being near the fireworks is much better than being further away (say at Vaucluse or Watsons Bay) because the sound of them is half the fun and you lose the sound the further away you get. Don't let the crowds put you off - I normally hate crowds but standing with a very appreciative and friendly audience who are all oohing and aahhing is heaps of fun! It's a great night out - but don't expect to get out of there in a hurry. One suggestion - there are a couple of good restaurants in Kirribilli and it may be worth booking a table for say 9.30pm. You can enjoy a nice dinner while the crowds head off, and then you can make your way onto wherever you are going for midnight!
Michelle

Search this Thread