Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   New Year's Eve in Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/new-years-eve-in-sydney-368679/)

smchrissy Oct 14th, 2003 05:34 AM

New Year's Eve in Sydney

G'day! My husband and I and another couple are travelling to Australia for the first time the end of December. One of the things we did not want to miss was New Year's Eve in Sydney. Has anyone done the Fiesta Cruise? Just wondering if that is a good way to see the fireworks? Thanks!

Alan Oct 14th, 2003 09:10 PM

Hi, smchrissy!
If you can get out on the water, you are ideally placed to see the fireworks; it is my understanding, however, that the cruise boats that are permitted to be out there that evening charge an arm and a leg, at the very least.... they have a bit of a monopoly, as the normal commuter ferries stop well before the fireworks start.

There are all sorts of ways to see the fireworks for free from the foreshores, but in order to do this properly, you have to be prepared to give up a half-day and take a blanket and a picnic lunch, as the best spots go by mid-afternoon. My tip is the Cahill Expressway, directly above Circular Quay Railway Station; it used to be my favourite FREE spot, but two years ago they started charging (only about $A5 -- cheaper than the cruise) for entry onto that part of the walkway, so all the tightwads (like myself) abandoned the idea in a huff.... this might make it an even better deal for you, as the crowds will be a bit thinner -- but still go late-afternoon!

crazymina Oct 14th, 2003 10:56 PM

Thanks for the info Alan...I plan to be in Sydney for New Years as well, and wanted to see the fireworks. A friend is coming from Adelaide to meet me there, and I'm not sure if either he, or my Sydney friend realize that it will be tough to get good viewing.

Smchrissy, where are you flying in from? Any good airfares? I am hoping to leave on Christmas day from LA, and the best I have found is 2 grand from LAX. Ick.

Alan Oct 15th, 2003 04:17 AM

Hi, crazymina!
Sorry, smchrissy, for hijacking your thread, but the above post is really very special news, -- crazymina is one of the very best long-term contributors to this site, and I (as, I am sure, are many other regulars) am delighted to hear that she is returning to our shores. Crazymina, every year it gets tougher to find a place in a good site for the fireworks, and last year I chose the "easy" option and watched them on TV from my living room. This year, however, if you're coming, I will do a bit of sleuthing and see if I can come up with some clues to a great spot that won't be full by 3 p.m., and, if I can find one, I'll share it with you. Wouldn't it be great if we could actually meet there? That would make the afternoon of waiting around just fly! Maybe smchrissy and her husband will join us also... we'll mark out a choice bit of territory and label it "Fodor's". In the meantime, maybe some other readers will tell us of their particular favourite spots.

Mucky Oct 15th, 2003 04:46 AM

Hi everyone,
Get a large spot Alan, can I join you too? ..lol
I have been promised a spot in the Panasonic enclosure (they are sponsors apparently) If I can get spare tickets for you guys I will.
Just don't hold your breath !
But if that doesn't pan out I may need an alternative.

Seriously; is a meeting for Fodors on New years eve a real possibility?
That would be great, I would love to say thanks in person for all your help.I know Pat is just down the road from me too.

Muck

crazymina Oct 15th, 2003 12:22 PM

Hi Alan...

As usual, you are a sweet, kind gentleman, and I'm happy to "know" you and read your advice on this board. I haven't posted much on this board lately (or for that matter, any of the others) because it's been almost 2 years since I was in Oz and feel that I need to "brush up" before giving any solid help. Hence this trip downunder!

I'd love to meet you, Mucky and some others there! Wouldn't that be fun? I am meeting two Australians there who I met while backpacking Europe for 4 months this year. While one is from Sydney, I find that unless one goes out of their way to help see their city from a "tourist" perspective, one doesn't always know what his city holds!

Anyway, about the fireworks...I don't know for sure if we are doing that. If we go "out" for dinner and drinks, I'm pretty sure our chances of viewing the fireworks upclose are shot. When people save spots and wait around, do they picnic, eat, drink, or be merry?

I can't wait to visit your wonderful country again...I love the people! They were all I hung out with when I was in Europe (apparently you Aussies just looooove to travel!) Now if I can only get a decent fare....

Alan Oct 15th, 2003 04:24 PM

Hi, Mucky and crazymina!

I don't know what -- or where -- the Panasonic enclosure is, but it would have to be better than anything I could come up with! I was sort of thinking across the Bridge in Milson's Point or Kirribilli, somewhere where we could get to by train, as parking is generally out of the question. Anyway, the idea is sounding even better now that Mucky has entered the picture, so I say let's do it! If you want to email me so as not to use up Fodor's (and smchrissy's)space, I am at [email protected]. Any other regulars -- Margo, Janese --planning to be in Sydney this New Year?

Sonia Oct 16th, 2003 02:20 AM

Hi All

Nice to hear from you again Mina, and you Alan. After a long time planning I ended up booking the Fiesta Cruise boat for the New Year. I figured I didn't want to stress all day about finding a good spot, and I don't have to board the boat until 745pm. Janet, who runs the company, is absolutely lovely. I'm looking forward to it very much.

Hope you all have a great time

Sonia

smchrissy Oct 16th, 2003 04:50 AM

Wow, I like the idea of the "Fodor's Group" meeting up! Sonia, we, too, will be on the Fiesta Cruise! I look forward to meeting you in person! I would definitely like to meet up with the rest of the group at some point if possible. That would be fun! We are leaving from LA on December 26. We're staying at the Sheraton on the Park. This is our first time in Australia so we are counting on the help of others to be sure we see what we should and have a marvelous vacation! Let's see if we can arrange a meet time in Sydney. We'd love that! Keep the inf coming! Sonia, I'll see you on the boat!

smchrissy Oct 16th, 2003 04:51 AM

I almost forgot. We didn't get an especially good deal for a flight from LA, but it was a package and we thought for all that we are doing, it was worth the price. After all, we are newbies and don't know any better....

crazymina Oct 16th, 2003 07:01 AM

Hi Sonia!

What's this Fiesta cruise? I'll do a search here later, (have to get ready for work in a few) but if anyone could give me quick details, I'd appreciate it. Or feel free to email me at [email protected]...I'd love info on price, etc.

Hmmm...maybe we all meet on the fiesta cruise? ;)

Molly806 Oct 19th, 2003 08:47 PM

Sonia,
Could you please tell me more about the Fiesta Cruise?
As of now, we'll be arriving in Sydney on Jan 2nd. Very Sad. However, we're on the waitlist with the airlines for a flight that will get us in on Dec. 31.
So I'd like to have the Fiesta Cruise booked, in the event we get to Sydney in time for it.
Thank you.
Candice

Molly806 Oct 19th, 2003 08:50 PM

SMChrissy,
You'll like the Sheraton on the Park hotel. I've stayed there.
However, if you could get a hotel in the Rocks area, you might prefer that for your first trip to Sydney.
However, the Sheraton isn't all that far away from the Rocks.

Sonia Oct 20th, 2003 01:25 AM

Hi

Here are the details for the cruise. If you call or email, you'll speak to the lovely Janet!

Fiesta Cruises Pty Ltd
PO Box 175 Rozelle NSW 2039
Tel: 9719 9342 Fax: 9719 8765 Mobile: 0404 486 574
Email: [email protected]

Check website for prices but evening includes all drinks and a meal. Personally, I can't wait!

Sonia

margo_oz Oct 20th, 2003 12:26 PM

I'll likely be in Sydney - as I live here!

A couple of years ago, we went to Goat Island, a National Parks site to the west of the Bridge. It was absolutely fabulous - great views, but a bit exxy - we picnicked, and there was a jazz band. Some of those islands around the harbour are just brilliant.

Alan - if you think of anything brilliant, do let us know. I, too, resorted to the tv last year!

smchrissy Oct 21st, 2003 10:38 AM

Hi Molly! Thanks for the info on the Sheraton on the Park. Looking at a map, it appears to be in a nice location. Doesn't seem too far to Darling Harbor. Is it easy to access public transportation from the Sheraton? Also, if we take the train from the airport, will we have a very long walk with our luggage?
Sonia, Janet told us that there was one other couple from the USA on the Fiesta cruise. Are you from the East Coast? Also, have you received your tickets yet? We haven't.
Alan, remember, we need a Fodors gathering on New Year's, so scout it out and let us know where to meet!

Sonia Oct 21st, 2003 11:40 PM

Hi

I'm not American, I'm from English (although not far from the East coast)! If you mention my name to Janet I think she'll remember me.

As far as I know, you don't get tickets, just a faxed confirmation after Janet receives your money.

smchrissy Oct 22nd, 2003 04:40 AM

Hi Sonia!

Have you been on a Fiesta cruise before? It sure sounds like it will be fun. I assume it will be casual? I figure that we will be enjoying the sites, people, and activities prior to getting onto the boat, so we won't be wearing evening wear or dressy clothing. Are you travelling alone, Sonia? My husband and I are travelling with another couple. It is our first time in Australia. I have been reading as much as I can. We don't want to miss anything that is worth seeing! It sounds like you've been to Australia before? Hope to hear from you soon!

Sonia Oct 22nd, 2003 04:54 AM

Hi again

Janet has assured me it's casual which is a relief. I'll be travelling around the world for 4 months and have no room for anything too smart!

I'll be travelling with my boyfriend. We leave the UK a week on Saturday and visit Japan, Hong Kong, thailand and Singapore before hitting Australia. Jim has been to Melbourne before but it's my first time.

Have been researching and planning the whole thing for over a year now and am very excited!

Take care

Sonia

smchrissy Oct 22nd, 2003 07:48 AM

Wow, a 4 month vacation! That sounds absolutely wonderful! We only have two weeks. We will spend 4 nights in Sydney, 4 nights in Brisbane and 6 nights at Cairns (Palm Cove). This is mine and my husband's first time out of the country (except for Canada and Mexico) so this will definitely be a grand experience for us! I can't wait to meet you and hear all about your adventures! Since you will be leaving shortly and we probably won't be communicating, I will look forward to meeting you New Year's Eve in Sydney! Have a safe journey and I'll be the one on the Fiesta Cruise shouting the name "Sonia"! I think there will be a few hundred people, so I'll probably be annoying everyone until I find you!