New Year's Eve in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2003, 03:54 PM
dsk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year's Eve in Sydney

I need your help in locating a restaurant
for New Year's Eve to see the fireworks.
Any suggestions? Thank you for your reply.
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:35 PM

Hi, dsk!
There are about a million people in Sydney that night wanting exactly the same thing, so I am not over-optimistic about your chances. Even if you do strike one with a vacant table at this time, chances are it would be so crowded to even try to get to it that you would find the evening less-than-ideal. You might try one of the Dinner cruise boats: John Cadman is one, and Captain Cook Explorer (I think?) is another. They will not be cheap on that particular night (not that they're cheap on any other night!)Also, the restaurant at the Opera House (Bennelong) has a honey of a view of the Bridge, but I'll bet it's been booked out for years.
Another option would be to get a hotel room with a view of the bridge and eat in your room. The Marriott in Pitt St has rooms with a good view, so does the Quay Grand. Avoid hotels which look at a cross-section of the Bridge or at the wrong side... and also bear in mind that the Hyatt, the closest of all hotels to the Bridge, is actually almost-under it, so only a handful of its rooms has any kind of view of the fireworks.
But for me, the best option is to stand on the Cahill Expressway directly above Circular Quay Railway Station (get there mid-afternoon for an unobstructed position)and bring a picnic lunch/dinner. The Coles Express above Wynyard Station is a good place to buy your cold foods, and then it's just a short walk to the entrance to the Cahill Expressway (almost opposite the ANA Grand).
Aslo, you could always stay somewhere like the Russell or the Old Sydney Holiday Inn or the Mercantile (you can eat there, but there's no view), and mingle with the crowd in the streets at fireworks time.... a five-minute walk towards the Opera House will have you in a top position. Good luck!
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:55 PM

I spent this past New Year's Eve in Sydney while on vacation. Stayed at the Marriott (formerly the Renaissance). Stayed in Room 1515 with a great unobstructed view of the Harbour Bridge. We had dinner in the hotel...wonderful buffet... to avoid the closed streets and hoards of people in the Circular Quay area.

There are a few restaurants in the Rocks area. Don't remember their names. Try the Sydney Tourist Office website.
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:01 PM

We were in Sydney for New Years this year. We walked to the edge of the grounds between the Opera House and the Botanical Gardens, and had a spectacular view.

We stayed at the Renaissance on Pitt St. for a later stay, upon returning from New Zealand. When did it become a Marriott and not Renaissance. The two are affiliated, but it was a Renaissance back in January. That is a great location for everything, in my opinion. That is where I'd look to stay when I return.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 01:54 PM

Hi dsk,
I will be there on NYE too !
Look out for me....lol

Cheers

Muck
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 04:03 PM

Hi there

There are plenty of amazing restaurants with New Years Eve packages. Please don't limit yourself to Hotel restaurants as they won't reflect the excellent food Sydney has to offer.

As it gets closer you can see the NYE specials at each of the restaurants here:

http://www.bestrestaurants.com.au

Or pick one you really like and email for their plans for the night.

Cheers

TG