Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   need ideas for 3 mo. in NZ w/3 yr old (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/need-ideas-for-3-mo-in-nz-w-3-yr-old-60813/)

kyia Jan 25th, 2000 01:25 PM

need ideas for 3 mo. in NZ w/3 yr old

Greetings! After spending the last few days wallowing through websites for information I have decided that it is time to come right out and ask for help from the friendly, knowledgeable folks on this board. <BR> <BR>Here's the deal. My husband and I are planning to take 3 months off this fall (approx 9/15-12/15) for an extended getaway with our 3 year old son and are starting to think that NZ is the place to go. Our initial thought was to rent one vacation home (preferably on a beach) near Auckland/Bay of Islands/Coromandel for the entire period and rent a car to do some venturing out from there. Now I'm wondering if we shouldn't be a little more adventurous: split our time between both islands, try a farm stay, take a detour to Fiji, and/or perhaps do a bit of campervan camping to boot. But I don't know how "far" to go. <BR> <BR>I am perhaps emboldened by the fact that we just returned from 2 weeks in the Virgin Islands, and our son proved to be a great traveller, which has given me confidence I didn't have before. But we did very little there except go to the beaches and hang out in our rental home. <BR> <BR>Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has travelled NZ with a youngster of that age, and what places/sights/activities/pace you found most fun and successful. In addition, I would be interested in hearing anyone's general itinerary suggestions, or to receive references to books or weblinks that would be helpful. Also, I am wondering, in general, whether NZ is a child-friendly place to travel, and what kind of weather we might expect from Sept to December. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance! <BR>

maureen king Mar 23rd, 2000 11:43 AM

<BR>Three months in NZ would be lovely. My husband and I have been there 6 times once for 3 months. We did not travel with children - ours are all grown up. However, a friendlier place you could not hope for. You only need to take out a map and someone will be giving you directions or suggesting great places to see. My suggestion would be, since you say your son travels reasonably well, would be to rent a car (not a nationally known one as they are too expensive). There are companies that cater to long term rental and they are reliable and serviced (if you should encounter problems) by their motor league. We have travelled from the very north of the north island to the very south of the south island. You will thoroughly enjoy doing the same and since it is a fairly small country you can stop and smell the roses (literally) without travelling every single day. <BR> <BR>If you want any other information contact me and I'll do what I can to help out.

barbara Aug 19th, 2001 11:41 AM

I am thinking about a similar journey but with 2 toddlers and for one month. I see taht you haven't had many replies but were wondering if you found out any other information in other places?

Jo Aug 19th, 2001 03:14 PM

First thing to remember as that it is spring here during those months - it may not be beach weather so 3 months there might be a bit much. <BR>In my opinion the most spectacular parts of NZ are the South Island, although they are a bit cooler. I would recommend spending your first 2 months there, and then basing yourself in the Northland/Coromandel area of the North Island. <BR>During the month of September the ski season is just finishing. I would recommend basing yourself somewhere like Wanaka (just north of Queenstown) in the South Island. This will be a great base - but please remember that although distances may be small, that roads are narrow and mountaineous, and a lot of places are inaccessible for a day trip. The Nelson/Marlborough area in the north of the South Island would also be a good base, as would Te Anau near Fiordland in the lower South. <BR>Places in the North Island are a little more accessible (but not as stunning) so you would be able to make better use of day trips here. Remember that from Northland you wouldn't be able to get much further than Auckland on a day trip. <BR>Actually, on second thoughts, why don't you hire a campervan and travel the whole country for 3 months, staying in campsites (which are very family friendly). If you like a place you can stay longer, if you don't move on. You wouldn't need to prebook for camping at that time of year. <BR>NZ is very family friendly. <BR>If I can be of further assistance, please post back and I will endeavour to help.

nzers Aug 19th, 2001 06:11 PM

Hi Kyia! We live here in NZ and I would say that we are a kid friendly nation - although some posh restaurants discourage littleones:( <BR> <BR>Anyway, three months would be great, but as previously advised, it is our spring & the weather is definately not for lazing on the beach & can be unpredictable. It would be wiser to start in the North & work your way South later in your trip. <BR> <BR>I don't know what your funds are, but if renting a car for the full three months is going to cost you more than NZ$4000, I would consider buying one! You can get very good cars for under $5000 and then you can resell before leaving - a reputable car auction will forward you your cheque after the sale. <BR> <BR>Accommodation wise - there is an excellent book published here called "NZ Holiday Homes & Baches to Rent", which lists privately owned holiday homes throughout the country which are open for public rental. This book can be purchased for around $20 at most bookstores. Some homes require you to provide your own linen, but most can provide this for a small fee. Prices vary depending on the area, but these places are usually located at or near the best holiday spots in the country. We have stayed in a brand new 4 bedroom lakefront home near Rotorua with it's own private jetty & rowboat for NZ$100 per night total. <BR> <BR>You should also be aware that NZ has school holidays at the end of Sept for 2 weeks and a public holiday weekend near the end of October which is usually a very busy time in popular areas. <BR> <BR>Personally, our best holiday experience with our kids (4&2) here has been when we hired a Motorhome and toured the lower South Island. It was so relaxing & flexible & we will be doing it again in the future. <BR> <BR>Enjoy - & be sure to visit Mt Maunganui on your travels! <BR> <BR>nzers.