Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Need hotel selection help! Ritz in Sydney and Treetops in Port Douglas OR Intercontinental in Sydney and Sheraton Mirage in Port Douglas

Search

Need hotel selection help! Ritz in Sydney and Treetops in Port Douglas OR Intercontinental in Sydney and Sheraton Mirage in Port Douglas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 03:51 PM
Jen

That about says it all - <BR> <BR>Ritz in Sydney and Radisson Treetops in Port Douglas <BR> <BR>OR <BR> <BR>Intercontinental in Sydney and Sheraton Mirage in Port Douglas. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, our budget can't support both the Ritz and Sheraton, so we have a choice to make. We (my husband and I) are spending 7 nights in Sydney and 5 in Port Douglas! Thanks again for your help!

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:26 PM
Dick

Jen, <BR> <BR>I know what you are going through. <BR> <BR>We solved it by splurging in Sydney at a fabulous place,,,THe Quay West <BR>http://www.small-hotel.com/quay-west-sydney/index.html <BR>and stayed in an aprtment unit in Port Douglas,,that was ver inexpesive..base on the dollar. <BR> <BR>You need to determine how much time will be spent in the hotel room..and if a view is important...We just kwew that we wanted to be able to see the Opera House and Harbour Bridge from our place in Sydney. <BR> <BR>Godd luck.,,,am sure wherever you stay,,you will have a great time in Oz <BR>There is no right answer,

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 02:50 PM
John

Dear Jen: <BR> <BR>This past November my wife and I stayed at the Rydges Hotel chain in Sydney, Cairns, Alice Springs, Christchurch, Queenstown, Rotorua and Auckland. Fabulous service and accommodations. Check out their website at www.Rydges.com. Recommend them highly. <BR> <BR>John and Kay Schang <BR>Jackson, Tennessee

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 07:00 PM
Michael

Jen, <BR>Since you did not ask for alternate hotels but a preference on these 2 choices then the obvious one is Intercontinental & Mirage. The service at the Ritz is the best in Sydney but the Intercon is a fine first class hotel that with a bit of luck you may get a high rise room with a view. In Port Douglas the Mirage is far and away the best resort with a much better environment/pools/golf etc than anything else. Treetops is also nice. The mix of Intercon/Mirage wins this one.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 10:22 PM
Anna

My vote is for the Ritz Carlton. We spent New Year's Eve there and I cannot say enough about how wonderful it was. There's nothing special about the InterContinental. Go for a harbour view room at the Ritz. <BR> <BR>There are lots of lovely Queensland hotels outside Port Douglas. The Reef House at Palm Cove is a stunning hotel. Depends on what you want - glitz or understated luxury. If glitz - try the mirage, personally I hate sheratons, so we opted for the quieter Palm Cove option. <BR> <BR>Whatever you choose - enjoy.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:15 AM
Michael

Just a couple of points on Anna's post - the Mirage is not what one would call a Sheraton hotel and should never be confused as a typical Sheraton , particularly for those of you who come of the USA and would have a view of this chain based on that. The Sheraton was not built as a Sheraton but was aquired later. Palm Cove does have nice hotels but is closer to Cairns than to Port Douglas and is not a town but a collection of hotels with a nice beach and some local housing. Anna is right it is a nice place to stay but does not have "personality" as the Port does. Understand I am not trying to "argue" against what Anna has stated just trying to make it a bit clearer around the edges. <BR>Rgds <BR>Michael

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:49 PM
Mike

agreed on your comments about Sheraton. It's more akin to a nice full service resort in Hawaii than what one would think of as a Sheraton hotel. Jerry Seinfeld was there when I stayed there. And apparently this is where the cast of Thin Red Line stayed when filming was goin on in the area. It's a posh property to say the least. I also stayed at the Treetops, which is definitely not in the same league. Treetops is a family place, not elegant like the Mirage.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:54 PM
Mike

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that you should join the sheraton starwood club for $25 bucks. i did before staying at the mirage and got a sweet room at 50% off. i'm sure you can get a similar deal. it may help to call the hotel directly to make sure you get the best deal. good luck.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 07:40 AM
Jen

Thanks so much for your help! <BR> <BR>Mike: Thanks for the Starwood advice - we got the 50% off, and can now stay at the Ritz and the Sheraton! <BR> <BR>Can't wait for our trip!

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 03:28 AM
susie

I called Sheraton and they said to join Starwood club there is no charge and they did not know anything about paying $25. and then getting 50% off. Can you please give me some details as to how you did this. Thanks

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 04:41 AM
Jen

Susie: <BR> <BR>Actually, we had been members of the Starwood 'frequent flyer' program and used 1,500 points to get 50% off - Mike had just reminded us to check on that so that's how we got the discount, so I'm not sure what Mike did to get his discount. Sorry I can't help you any more than that - hopefully Mike will see your post!

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 09:05 AM
Mike

Hi Susie- <BR> <BR>Sheraton just charged me $25 to renew my membership. Maybe the first year it's free? Anyway, I actually joined the club when we arrived at the Mirage. I was told the rate I originally booked on the Sheraton site was a Starwood rate so the woman at the desk gave me an application on the spot and offered me the 50% discount. This was a year ago, so maybe they aren't offering such discounts any more. I would give the main Sheraton # a call and see if there is any price difference between being a Starwood member or not for this property. I recently booked a room at the Sheraton on Kauai and I received a 35% room discount for being a Starwood member so it still seems like a good membership to have in my opinion. Good luck!