Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Need help with possible destinations in NSW (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/need-help-with-possible-destinations-in-nsw-510250/)

gbs Mar 7th, 2005 03:06 PM

Need help with possible destinations in NSW

We will be visiting in early May for 11 days. We have a possiblity of exchanging into a timeshare while there. We have choices in Hallidays Point, Tomakin, Kingscliff and Coffs Harbor. Does anyone know if any of these are within decent driving distance from Sydney and if any of these are locations would be interesting to stay in for 3 or 4 days? I have a feeling at least some of these choices may be a bit run down, but perhaps if they are in good locations, it would be a good adventure. Thanks for any help.

mhaf Mar 7th, 2005 03:42 PM

Hi, Hallidays Point about 3 hrs n of Sydney, Coffs is 6 hrs n, Kingscliff is about 8 hrs n, and i haven't heard of Tomakin. All locations would be great for 3 - 4 days, even longer. Coffs has about 40,000 people and is well developed but can be crowded but should be OK in May. For good weather at that time of year, i'd recommend Kingscliff as it is in northern NSW and close to gold coast (about half hour drive)less cahnce of rain and slightly warmer than others. Plenty to do at all places. Hallidays Point is a reasonably quiet coastal village/town and good for rest and relaxation.

johhj_au Mar 7th, 2005 04:47 PM

Tomakin is down the south coast

I would recommend coffs or Kingscliff.
Kingscliff is around 9-10 hours drive ex sydney.The pacific highway north is not an interstate.The tweed and Byron hinterland is imho the best combination of geography,lifestyle and weather in oz. Don't look in the realtor windows ...you may never go back to the northern hemisphere.

Coffs has beach,solitary island trips,rainforest at dorrigo, charming hinterland town at Bellingen.

Break your journey north at south west rocks...stay at the smoky cape lighthouse B&B.

Paul_S Mar 7th, 2005 05:27 PM

Hi gbs,

My vote would also be for Coffs, it is a really nice place. We have thought about buying a home there for when we retire.

Cheers

Paul_S

ausblov Mar 7th, 2005 08:31 PM

Kingscliff, great location.....not really a short drive to Sydney, but definately a great area (also handy to Gold Coast, the hinterland and even a drive to Brisbane if you felt inclined).

Daneille Mar 8th, 2005 04:00 PM

I like Coffs. It has some lovely beaches, good drives north and south and west into the hinterland. The infrastructure of the township is good with a wide selection of restaurants (The Jetty district in particular) and shopping (the largest shopping centre on the north coast). . . AND you can visit the Big Banana (only joking!!)

The drive is a long one, whichever way you look at it, but the road is pretty good and there are some nice places to stop along the way.