need help on Fiji accomodation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself and 2 daughters 16 & 20 will be in Fiji in August 14-18 2003, we would like to see nice beaches and the Fijian way of life, firewalking & a Meke.
Do you think we have enough time to stay on one of the outer islands for 2 nights then Suva to see the Museum & market for 1 night then back to Nandi for shopping, the Indian temple and our flight out.
We are on a budget and can only afford $100 approx. per night for the 3 of us.
Any recommendations on places to stay, see etc. would be very welcome
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:36 AM

Hi Juli

what time does your flight take off from Nandi?
I would do it another way, go to Suva first then return to Nandi and go straight over to an island, perhaps Plantation as it isn't too far and then back to Nandi for one night and flight out. Nandi isn't very nice, if you need to stay a night, the Dominion hotel might be a reasonably priced choice, haven't stayed there but had dinner there and it was fine.www.dominion-international.com is the website. It seems to fall well within your budget.
For the meke go to the Sheraton hotel by taxi in Nandi, they have happy hour and good snacks with your drinks.
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Kathy, that's a great idea. We leave Nandi 8.20am Monday. I was also concerned that stores won't be open over the weekend for our shopping so going to Suva first solves that.
Is the meke every night at the Sheraton?
Any recommdations for Plantation Island?

Old May 16th, 2003, 09:02 PM

HI Juli
I had a look at Plantation's website,
www.plantation-island.com
There's a wide choice of rooms, can't see any prices so email them and ask. click on discounts too, looks interesting. Also ask them what time the boats leave Nandi for there.
I was there two days and went snorkelling off the reef, brilliant. There's plenty to do there for the two days, you could visit another island from there but probably won't want to.
They seem to be tied up with two hotels in Nandi and Suva, might be worth a look for any discounts but think you'd be happy with the Dominion price wise. You can always eat at the two Sheraton's (side by side they are) at Denarau, this is where the boat leaves for Plantation. You can walk round there from the boat to the Sheraton if you want dinner or the meke before checking into your hotel for the last night. They both have great shopping also. The hotels usually provide transport to the airport and it's not far from the Dominion.
I wouldn't make the effort too much to 'do' the shops in Nandi, they pester you to death, one was very nice and said to me, I'll leave you alone and it was a blessing. I enjoyed shopping at the hotels more. They really have the same souvenirs but also nice clothes, golf gear, jewellery etc.
I was also there in august and the
weather was great. I would book asap as it's a popular time for holidays.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:07 PM

Hi Juli
Sorry, yes, I do believe the meke will be on every night.
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Hello Kathy,
You seem very knowledgable about Fiji and I'm having trouble finding out much about it here in Canada so I hope you won't mind these questions.
I have looked into island accomodation but it seems beyond our budget, and with only 4 days we don't have alot time as well, so I think we will stay at Club Fiji the first night at least and go from there. Could you tell me where the Cultural Centre is close to? Also a recommendation for a day trip out to one of the islands for snorkelling on the reef, my daughters are 16 & 20 yrs old so preferably a cruise where we will all have someone in our age groups, not a seniors cruise.
Is the best museum in Suva? Firewalking ceremonies are also an interest to us, will they be at the Cultural Centre?
Thank you in advance,
Julie
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Hi Julie
If you and your girls are into a bit of adventure, you might want to check into the sailing safari offered by Captain Cook Cruises.
This is like an exotic camping trip, as you are on a large sailboat during the day, and at night you stay on their island village in a typical Fijian Bure
They offer 3 and 4 day cruises
check out www.captcookcrus.au.com/adventure
This will get you out to the islands, but is not as expensive as island accommodations. This is a bit of an adventure though. I did this in 2001 and so if you have questions just ask.
Lynette
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Hello Lynette,
Thanks for the tip. I looked into the Captain Cook Cruise and it sounds great but it doesn't work in with our day's in Fiji, the 3 day cruise leaves only on Saturday's arriving back late Monday, and we arrive in Nadi on Thursday am and leave the following Monday am, it is only a short stopover on our way to Australia for a month.
So if you or anyone else has any ideas for us I would really appreciate it, as I said here in Canada I am having trouble finding out info, the web is helpful, but I would like a bit of a plan before we go so we don't waste any of the short time we have there.
Julie
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:15 PM

Julie
I think you were looking at the 3 night cruise with Capt. Cook and not the sailing safari. The 3 night sailing safari goes Mon - Wed but the 4 night leaves Denarau Marina Thurs AM and get back on Sunday afternoon about 4PM. Another Island option you might want to check out is either Beachcomber Island. This is primarily geared for younger crowd, so your daughters might enjoy it. You can get a variety of accommodation options here from dorm style to private bures and meals are included. Beachcomber is a small island, but the beach is superb. Another fairly cost effective Island option is Musket Cove. It is on the same island as Plantation, and its proximity to Denarau makes it easy to get to, and the transfer is not that expensive. If you have not yet checked out Rob Kay's web site, you should. www.fijiguide.com
If you want to stay on the main Island I have heard that the beaches at Nadadola (sp?) are nice
BTW I am also from Canada.
When I was in Fiji, I met the lady who owns Sun Vacations Fiji. She used to be a TA in Victoria, BC and moved to Fiji and now does inbound travel.
She has access to almost any hotel or cruise in Fiji and will put together a package for you, and price it in FJ$
(that means a good exchange rate for us) Her web site is www.suvacationsfiji.com and her name is Lynne Carlos
Happy planning
Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:30 AM

Hi Juli
I really don't believe Fiji to be all that economical compared to other destinations. Some of the lesser priced accomodation is not very nice so for comfort go with those that have already been recommended. You could go to Plantation island and hence to Musket Cove, they can tranfer you on a small boat in about ten minutes or you can walk round to Musket and go on a snorkelling trip for the day and back to the Nandi area in late afternoon.
Captain Cook cruises are quite pricey from memory. Musket Cove is more expensive than Plantation and they are right next door to each other.
None of the island resorts are a bargain, food is expensive to transport to them etc. Also it is imported from Australia and New Zealand only adding to the costs.
Check out www.jasons.com/sp/
Click on to the areas in the centre panel, for the islands that you will be interested in click on the Mamanuka Islands.
There are choices for day trips leaving from Denarau each day, your hotel in Nandi can book them for you, Fiji is very tourist oriented and the people are very helpful. Denarau is where the two Sheraton's are.
I have only been to the Cultural Centre at Pacific Harbour, I assume you are meaning this one, yes, firewalkers are part of the whole experience.
Have not been to Suva.
At least if you stay in Nandi you might like to do two different islands on day trips.