Need Alan's (Sydney expert) opinion

Sep 29th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Need Alan's (Sydney expert) opinion

Hi,
I borrowed the recent thread about Sydney Apartments to ask a question, but thinking that rude, I will ask here.
I will be in Syd. starting 12-29 and will be staying at the Radisson Suites on Liverpool St. (right down the street from Mucky who will be at the Waldorf.
Have you happened to walk by this property. If so, what is your opinion. I was going the York Apts but nixed it becuase of being right next to the freeway. The mgr of the York was very honest and said you can hear the freeway when you are by the pool and you may hear it in the apts, if you are sensitive to noise (which I am).
It looks like the monorail runs by the Radisson Suites but I'm sure that will be OK.
So, if you can, can you please tell me your thoughts?
Thanks,
Pat
Sep 29th, 2003, 12:54 PM

Hi Patw,
Yes we will be neighbours..lol
We will be the Welsh family nosing at the Raddisson and you will be checking out the Waldorf, our paths will probably cross somewhere..lol

have a great trip !!

Muck
Sep 29th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mucky,
Well I actually think I'm British but we will be the family from NJ. I actually popped over to London last weekend for the London Open House Weekend. What great weather. I'll post again before we get closer to departure.
Cheers,
Pat
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Topping to see if Alan is out there.
Thanks,
Pat
Oct 11th, 2003, 10:47 PM

Hi, patw!
Sorry I didn't reply a week and a half ago, when you posted this -- my computer has been having its regular six-monthly breakdown, so I have been off the net (which means that I practically have a breakdown also!)

You won't have too many complaints with the Radisson, I think. Now, I am not absolutely sure of the location (as I don't usually even glance at the up-market hotels, as they don't need my advertising to make a buck -- I try to sniff out the little cheapies that don't advertise but still put you in the heart of everything), but I think it's very close indeed to Mucky's Waldoorf, but a little closer to Darling Harbour and on the other side of the street. Can't tell you much about the likely view, except that it will be Darling Harbour and not Sydney Harbour, if you get one.

Liverpool Street is a narrow street crossing the major four north-south ctreets of George, Pitt, Castlereagh and E;lizabeth; it's the place where you will find a few Spanish restaurants, and, within a block, the beginnings of Chinatown. It is within walking distance of the main shops, and just around the corner in George St is the cinema strip, with all the McDonalds, Hungry Jacks (read "Burger King"), Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut outlets you could possibly want (or want to avoid). Buses don't go along Liverpool, so it's not over-noisy, but if you are going to visit the Harbour, you will need to walk (uphill) to George St and catch a bus (fifteen minutes) or a train at Town Hall Station. If you're planning to visit Darling Harbour and the various attractions around that way (and there will be a host of activities there all through January -- it's one of the few times of the year Darling Harbour is actually a good place to stay), then you are extremely well-placed -- it's only a few minutes' stroll.
Hope this helps a bit! Have a great time!
Oct 12th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Alan,
I appreciate your insight on my question. I am looking forward to the whole trip. I think the location will be perfect for us. We also like to walk, uphill, downhill, doesn't matter so that will be fine, too. My 13 year old will enjoy the fast food places in the area for lunch. This is my first trip down under in almost 16 years so I am really looking forward to it.
Thanks for your insights into all things Sydney.
Pat
Dec 12th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Just a comment on the Waldorf Apartment Hotel on Liverpool St. We were booked there with a confirmed reservation guaranteed with a credit card, but turned away at 5 PM when they had no rooms left on a very busy Saturday night. Hope you have better luck!