Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Need advice urgently for booking of day tours to GBR and Kuranda in Cairns

Aug 9th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, we'll be leaving for Cairns for a week's stay in 2 days' time and we are really excited about it. However, for this trip, we have only booked our air-tickets and accomodation but have not booked any day trips. We are intending to go to Kuranda (inclusive of taking the scenic railway, skyrail and visiting the Rainforestation) and go snorkelling at the outer reef. Our initial plan was to book the day tours on our first day there. However, we are not sure if we can buy tickets on board the railway and skyrail to Kuranda from the ticket booth at the Cairns Railway Station or not. Or is it better if we buy the tickets online? Please advise us as this is our first trip to Cairns. As for the snorkelling at the GBR, is it feasible for us to book at the Reef Fleet Terminal on our first day when we are there? I have heard that there are quite a number of tour operators that go out to the outer reef in Cairns and am unsure of which one to book from. Do you all have any recommendations as to which tour operator we should book from? I know this is rather last-minute as I have only managed to come across this fabulous website today. Also, can anyone give me advice as to what to wear in Cairns at this time of the year? Thanks so much for the help given
Aug 9th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Hi,

I'm also going to Australia in 2 days! We booked with Down Under Tours for Kuranda and with Reef Magic to visit the Outer Reef.
Aug 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM

You don't say how long you'll be in Cairns so we don't know if you have any flexibility. You can book directly at the Kuranda Railway station, but you may not get to go immediately, and may need to choose a later time. Should be same day, though. We also went with Reef Magic in May and had a perfect day. Temps in the low 80s probably, wear whatever you would wear at home, it isn't a exactly a fashion parade there.
Aug 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM

You've timed it well! Its been very windy for last few weeks but according to forecasts (and by looking out my window) weather improving vastly from today. After a long bout of windy weather such as this, people delay their reef trips to best weather day they have, this can often cause a build-up when everyone wants to go to reef at once and boats often are booked out if you leave reservation until the last minute. However, with a week up your sleeve you should be safe to book on arrival.

Reef Magic right now is using one of its other boats for a designated whale watching trip - just for the 6 weeks or so when humpback whales are about in these waters. $80 pp, morning or afternoon trip, so far 100% success rate, if no whales spotted ticket is good for another day. This is the only designated whale watching day trip out of Cairns and has become hugely popular with locals, especially on weekends,so if that's of interest book early with that one too.
Aug 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions I think I'll book with Reef Magic for the outer reef day trip and I'll buy my tickets from the Kuranda Railway station upon my arrival as I'll be there for a week. I'm really looking forward to my departure to Cairns tomorrow. Really appreciate the help given
Aug 9th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Also, thanks for the suggestion of going whale-watching. It sounds really interesting. We'll be booking that one when we are there too
Aug 9th, 2009, 10:38 PM

You could wait until you are there but for people wanting to book in Kuranda try www.kuranda.org/
Sep 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM

you can book most things last minute in Cairns, there's tour desks everywhere. If you want to book online try http://www.visitcairns.com.au