Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Native American in OZ (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/native-american-in-oz-635243/)

2dogs Jul 30th, 2006 03:22 PM

Native American in OZ

I am visiting for the first time Australia...will be at the Radisson Resort at Surfers Paradise....all this thru quirks of fate too far fetched to explain in words here....so here I be, a Native American off the Navajo reservation headed to down under....I know that I will be in what we call here in the US, the Orlando Florida of Australia....all the theme parks and such.....but being an aborigine of the US southwest, I am truly fascinated in exploring the native culture of Australia.....maybe I am not in the right section of Australia to do so, but any help would greatly be appreciated...I truly look forward to an extremely fascinating adventure.....will be there the last week of August for 8 days.....thanks to all replies

Phil

stevew Jul 30th, 2006 04:30 PM

Hi 2dogs

I was a very lucky to also visit Oz. I am also an American Indian. I am from Jemez Pueblo.

We went up to Darwin and then out to Kakadu National Park and Arnhem Land for 5 days and learned alot of the local Aboriginal life and customs. We took tours into Arnhem land and were very lucky to have guides that were from the local people. I told our guides that I was an Native American Indian and that got the ball rolling. Even though we are half a world apart our customs are very very close. Some things are very different. We have 4 seasons and they have 6. They have men's business and womens business as we do. We just have different names. If you get the chance go up to Darwin and then out Kakadu and Arnhem Land and take a few tours and listen to the land and the stories of the people. You will find them very interesting people. They also have cultural differences as we do here. I hope that you enjoy your trip. If you can stay a bit longer go to the top end. You will be surprised how close our beliefs are.

Andrea

lizF Jul 30th, 2006 05:54 PM

An advanced welcome to you 2dogs, I have spent some very enjoyeble in and around Native American areas of the US and I find the culture facinating. There are a couple of Australian Aboriginal centres that you will be able to get to from the Gold Coast and those are at Fingel near Tweed Heads on the G.C. and also an area on North Stradbroke Island which is off the Gold Coast region and Brisbane. Do a Google search for information on the various tribes around that area using say: Morton Bay, Stradbroke Island, Northern NSW, S.E. Queensland as seach destinations. Also here is the website for the Aboriginal Council of Qld which should also help with some sites for you to follow up on.
http://www.datsip.qld.gov.au/links/councils.cfm I am sure that you would be more than welcome to visit any of these areas and get an introduction to Native Australian ways of life.

Neil_Oz Jul 30th, 2006 09:31 PM

And Phil, it looks like I'll have to be the first to congratulate you on that screen name!) Maybe nobody else has heard the joke.) Enjoy your visit.

pat_woolford Jul 31st, 2006 01:43 AM

And 2 dogs, I'm the second. With your sense of humour there won't be a problem at all, Andrea and Liz have given you good advice. Once you get the ball rolling with Aboriginal people, who can be a little shy and tentative at first, you'll be laughing. Aboriginal people also have a wonderful sense of humour. Have a great trip!

Neil_Oz Jul 31st, 2006 02:24 AM

And just a thought - if you have a chance to see the recently-released film "Ten Canoes", you'll get an unusual insight into the Aboriginal people of Arnhem Land, not to mention some good laughs. It's the first movie shot entirely in an Aboriginal language, is set in a time before the arrival of the white man, and it's one of the best and most original flicks to come out of Australia for some years.

I'd also recommend "Rabbit Proof Fence", made a few years ago about the experience of some kids who became part of "the stolen generation", removed from their families to be raised in a white environment in the belief that their people had no future. Many of the whites who perpetrated this practice had good intentions, but as we all know they're what the road to hell is paved with, aren't they?

Gilbert Jul 31st, 2006 01:45 PM

G'day & Yaateeh 2dogs,

I am an Aussie living in Alaska who is planning a trip to Arizona and the Navajo reservation in December. What part of the rez are you from?
We will be going to Cameron, Monument Valley and then Chinle (Canyon de Chelly). Planning to be in CdC on Christmas Day.
This will be our 2nd trip to that area - we love it.

Sorry to hijack your thread - I hope you have a wonderful trip DOWN UNDER.

Gilbert

2dogs Jul 31st, 2006 04:24 PM

not sure how the reply works but are you Gilbert trying to see which is colder,the rez in winter or Alaska ???...I am Water Edge born to Salt Clan...from around west of Gallup at a place called Manuelito....we are known as the Black Sheep clan....it will be cold in the winter...not much but the north wind and some barb wire to shield you from it.....any way,email me at [email protected] the no spam to contact me...will tell you the best places to get jewelry and some good fry bread....

Phil