IDEAS IDEAS X A 4 HOUR layover btwn SYDNEY & HOBART

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hola friends bokhara, lizzyF, neil, peterlan who can give me ideas on what to do when i come in very jet lagged(24.5 hours) from los angeles at 7.25 am into sydney and have to wait till 2pm to hop on my hobart bound plane? please advise i know there's a train to the city and i would have 3 hours between coming and going , need fresh air, a good breakfast and walking around to keep me up! besososos janine
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Take the train from the airport to Circular Quay and get off and on to a ferry to somewhere - perhaps Manly and walk on the beach there. Thats what I am doing but I have got longer and I will probably go into the city and take in a movie. I will leave it for others to give some imput into what to do.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM

PS: If you are on Jetstar from Sydney to Hobart make sure that you are back and at the check-in counter at their recommended time because they DO NOT let people on board who are not exactly on time. If you are flying into Sydney with Qantas you should not be too jet lagged or tired from LA because there is plenty to watch on board anyway. I never travel without a down-filled pillow and I always get to sleep.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

lizzy i'll take my down filled pillow, what a great idea. the thing for me is that my flight is AA operated by qantas so i'm guessing here that they're not the same qualitywise i would think? and today my AA flight to miami was cancelled, i'm sitting home writing to you after spending 9 frustrating lost hours at the airport because half the fleet is grounded in Dallas. imagine the mess! i'm worried that my flights on saturday could be affected so i'll have to call qantas as soon as i finally arrive in miami tomorrow... i'll check it out and maly sounds great. fresha air, breakfast and the sea mmm who said jet lag? jj
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM

I think Lizzy's idea is a good one, but don't push it for time. Is 1400 the departure or check-in time for Hobart? It could be 0830 before you're through customs & immigration (I'm assuming you're through-ticketed but you'll still have to re-check your bags for transit).

I haven't used the airport train, but I'm assuming it takes about 20 minutes to Circular Quay. The ferries are right outside the station, and the fast Jetcat (or whatever they call them) ferries only take abut 15 minutes to Manly; their cabins are enclosed, so it's not as nice and head-clearing a trip as on the older ferries, which take 30 minutes, but you probably won't have that much time up your sleeve. It's still worth doing.

At Manly it's a 10-minute walk down the street connecting the Harbour (ferry) side to the ocean front (The Corso).

If you're pushed for time for any reason you can still go to Circular Quay station, walk round to the Rocks area (to the west, your left, as you face the Harbour). Have breakfast (including a double-strength coffee, of course) somewhere and just stooge around. Alternatively you could walk around to the Opera House (to the east, you'll see it very clearly) and into the Botanical Gardens.

Just make sure you give yourelf wriggle room - there's nothing worse than racing late for a flight - especially, as Lizzy says, if it's Jetstar. They know no mercy.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:22 AM

Janine, you will need to change terminals when you arrive in Sydney and I would suggest that you did that as soon as you arrive and then leave your bags at the domestic terminal - this will also give you a better idea of the time you will have. The train into the city does take about 20 minutes and you will have to make allowance for the time to wait for the train getting back to the airport as well.
I have also looked and it seems to me that you will be on a Qantas plane from LA to Sydney and also Qantas from Sydney into Hobart. You would be flying AA from Miami to LA. Just remember too that the airport in LA is ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL and chaotic and the last time I went through there it took 4 hours. You will have to go from the arrival terminal to the International terminal as well and you do that by walking. In Sydney then, you can either get the train or go by bus from the International Terminal to the Domestic terminal - leave your bags at the left luggage which is in the arrivals hall I think BUT Qantas may let you check you bags in and that would mean having less problem. The train is downstairs and as a Monday morning at the time you are arriving will be very busy the train is the best method of transport. However do watch your time because there are not a lot of flights Sydney to Hobart.
Bon Voyage
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

right now i'm in miami with my grandkids and just clearing half my suitcase to travel lighter! i talked to qantas and they tell me i can check my bags as soon as i leave customs and immig, because it's a qantas flight.
i'll check them first and see how much time i have left to come and go.even as neil recommends i walk around the rocks,opera etc and enjoy a café doble!!
yes, i'll be sure to be back to the domestic with enough time without stressing out. hopefully!!!