Must sees for GBR

Jan 30th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Must sees for GBR

I would like some input on the tours to take and how many days to stay in the Port Douglas, Daintree area. What trips into the rainforest are good? Would 4 days be long enough? Hotels? We will be staying at Hayman Island Resort for 4 days and I think a Cruise of the reef is included in that. Also does anyone know what days the flights are from Carins to Auckland? and approx. how much? We will be there in Jan.2004 Any help is appreciated.
Jan 31st, 2003, 12:55 AM

4 days in Port Douglas would be enough to see the town and surrounding area and do a trip up to the Daintree and Cape Tribulation. There are lots of day trips out to the Great Barrier Reef, they leave from the marina in PD. We used Quicksilver who were good, very organised and lots to do. For flights, either check on your airline website for the schedule and costs or check on www.amadeus.com which will give you schedules for all airlines that fly that route. As far as I know, your choices are Qantas, Air NZ and United. The different airline websites show costs but if you have a complicated itinerary I'd suggest asking a travel agent.
Kay
Feb 5th, 2003, 03:28 PM

We took BTS tours to the Daintree and Cape Tribulation. We really had a great time and our group was small.

To the GBR we took Poseidon and had a wonderful experience with them. Did the intro-dive. I highly recommend it!
Feb 5th, 2003, 04:55 PM

My "FINALIZED HONEYMOON ITINERARY" post is at about #16 so scroll down and take a look -- I have all the tours I am taking listed while in PD for 4 nights. We are staying at the PortSea. Also, the website for David's tour is www.anhs.com.au. I believe the website for the other tour is www.dalmyles.com

Hope this helps!

Dawn
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:46 PM

We were there last August and spent 4 days in PD. 4 Days was just perfect for us. We went out to the GBR on the Calypso which has Diving and Snorling, and highly recommend them. Locally owned, the boat is only a year old and the crew very knowledgable. David Armbursts Australian Natural History Safari is a must! And if you stay in PD we recommend trying the Nautilis restarant. Enjoy your stay!
Cheers
Steve
Feb 7th, 2003, 02:19 PM

Hi - I agree with all the other comments but a marine biologist friend says snorkelling off Port Douglas is definitely the best. We did quicksilver and highly recommend it. We did a trip to Kuranda and Daintree - they seemed quite different and we are glad we did both. We booked via www.kuranda.au.com
We flew Cairns to NZ on a Tuesday and it took 4.5 hours, with Air new zealand, they have a website www.airnz.co.nz which we used. The only other tour that was a highlight for us, was ballooning, I've always wanted to do it. We did it with a local company that I am recommending to all my friends - they are www.hotair.com.au
Otherwise, yes Natulius is good but so is Salsa, Lime (for lunch) and Sassis - yes we ate in all these!
Feb 9th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who replied to my questions. Did you stay in a Port Douglas hotel and take the trips from there or did any of you stay in any of the rainforest hotels like Daintree resort or Ferntree Rainforest resort? I'm wondering if that would be worth it to try one of these resorts in the rainforest?