Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Must See in Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/must-see-in-sydney-287129/)

Birdy363 Feb 10th, 2003 05:24 PM

Must See in Sydney

A friend of mine from Brisbane suggested taking a ferry to Watson's Bay and going to Doyle's. Good idea or not? Also, any other must see recommendations for single guy going to be in Sydney for the first time for only three days?

margo_oz Feb 10th, 2003 06:50 PM

G'day Birdy<BR><BR>Doyle's is a bit of a Sydney icon, but, in my opinion, overpriced and not very good value. Certainly, the ferry to Watsons Bay is nice, but try the pub (also owned by Doyles) rather than the restaurant, unless you have too much money.<BR><BR>For brilliant seafood in Sydney - The Boarhouse at Blackwattle Bay - my favourite - opposite the fish markets. Bit expensive but worth it - magnificent oysters bynthe piece.<BR><BR>I understand Pier at Rose Bay is good, too - but I've not eaten there.<BR><BR>Do the Bridge Climb - try to start early - in summer it must be awfully hot in those suits up there on the coathanger! It takes 3 hours, so aim for a start before 8am, if your constitution is up to it. Or plan to go about 5pm - when it's cooled down a bit.<BR><BR>You haven't told us what you are interested in - give us a hint!

margo_oz Feb 10th, 2003 06:52 PM

That should read &quot; Boathouse at Blackwattle Bay&quot; -sorry!

LoisL Feb 10th, 2003 06:53 PM

It was recommended that I do that, when I asked for suggestions on this site, and we were glad we did. I would also recommend doing it on a day when you can take advantage of the all day ferry pass for $13.40. We did a morning trip to Manly and explored the shoreline a bit. Then, after returning to Circular Quay, did the trip to Watson's Bay for lunch at Doyle's [which was very good]. Then we walked up the path to the street, and after exploring the coastline there, took a bus to Bondi [also included in the day pass]. When we returned early that evening, we still got in one more ferry ride. It was a great day!

pat Feb 11th, 2003 08:16 AM

Had lunch at Doyle`s and thought it was very good. Be sure and eat outside on the 2nd story balcony. Great view of Sydney. It is the only meal I can remember eating in Sydney. Loved the bridge climb too.

YankDownUnder Feb 11th, 2003 05:02 PM

Definitely do the ferry and lunch/dinner at Doyle's! It's amazingly delicious, and not too expensive at all. I take all my friends/relatives who come visit there. Mom and Dad are coming down in a few months, and that's definitely on my list! The fish and chips are actually my favorite, believe it or not. Pier and Catalina and Boathouse are good, but MUCH more expensive and would be very hard to do solo. Also, not the institution Doyle's is. Heck, I could probably be convinced to join you at Doyle's I enjoy the experience so much!<BR><BR>The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps doing it for lunch unless you're comfortable dining solo at dinner. <BR><BR>What other kinds of things do you like doing?

Mucky Feb 15th, 2003 03:01 AM

Hi,<BR>Is Doyles pub at the same location as the restaurant by the rocks?<BR><BR>Muck<BR>

margo_oz Feb 15th, 2003 09:00 AM

Quite close at Watsons Bay. The pub is near the ferry terminal

YankDownUnder Feb 15th, 2003 01:44 PM

Mucky-<BR>Doyle's has a restaurant at the Rocks (actually, in the Overseas Passenger Terminal) that has views of the Opera House and all. It has a slightly different menu. The big thing to note is that it's not the &quot;old, traditional Doyle's&quot; on the beach. The Watson's Bay Doyle's is the original, and eating outside, on the beach, with a view of Sydney over the Harbour in the distance is the best. Taking the ferry there makes it even better!

Birdy363 Feb 16th, 2003 12:12 PM

margo and yank - <BR><BR>Thanks for your responses. Very helpful. What am I looking to do? Not sure, I'm really open to all ideas. I've never been to Sydney or Australia. I'll be stoping there on my way back after spending one month in Tasmania on a groug study tour. Basically I'm finshed in Tassie March 31. My plan was to stay in Tassie a few extra days to do my own visits, head to Sydney on Thursday, April3 (afternoon) depart Sydney Sunday, April 6 morning and do a week in South Island NZ. However, I can change this. Any other suggestions? Should I plan more time in Sydney or elsewhere? I do want to go to the horse races on Saturday (afternoon). Other than that I'm open to ideas. I'm also in need of hotel recommedations and how soon should I book. Someone said I should stay in the Rocks. I am traveling alone but like all experiences. Dining alone is not a problem. I enjoy antiques, markets, seafood, jazz, no museums please, pubs and experiencing people.

YankDownUnder Feb 16th, 2003 07:41 PM

Birdy-<BR>In terms of accommodation, I personally would wait until about 2 weeks ahead of when you're going to be here and use one of the following sites: wotif.com.au or lastminute.com.au. Given March/April is getting off season, there'll be heaps of deals available.<BR><BR>I would check that the races are on then. They would be at Randwick Racecourse, and they have a website with their schedule. Otherwise, you're definitely cutting it short in Sydney. Perhaps another day or two would be good.<BR><BR>The Rocks is fine. Lots of pubs and there's a weekend market on there. The Lord Nelson Pub has traditional accommodation (nice). In terms of Jazz, there are two key places: The Basement (near Circular Quay) and Soup Plus (on George St not far from the Rocks). The Basement has a website you can check out, and they often get international acts.<BR><BR>Seafood! Well, there's heaps. Doyle's, as noted, is great. You should definitely go to the Sydney Fish Market in Pyrmont. It's fun, interesting, and you'll get very fresh fish cooked however you want at a bunch of the stalls (fresh calamari, etc.)<BR><BR>Otherwise, lots of options. Any other questions, just drop a line. I don't always check the boards, so if you want a faster response then you can contact me at [email protected]

prue Feb 16th, 2003 09:23 PM

There is a seperate post dealing with Birdy363 going to the Races while in Sydney - and in that I have advised that in fact they will be at Rosehill that day. It should be a good meeting since the important Easter Carnival starts the following week.

Birdy363 Feb 17th, 2003 07:19 AM

Thanks prue. Got that message. Looking forward to an outing at the track.

margo_oz Feb 17th, 2003 10:26 AM

The Rocks area, near Circular Quay, is a good place to stay for what you want to do. And it's close to all public transport.<BR>There's been plenty of discussiin on this board about suitable hotels. I'd have a look at wotif.com.au and needitnow.com.au for great hotel deals.<BR><BR>I'm afraid Soup Plus has closed.<BR><BR>April is a good time for Sydney - and there's heaps to do.

debusa Feb 20th, 2003 11:40 AM

Prue, this is for you. Please tell me more about the Easter Carnival. Is it a good thing to be visiting there at that time, or bad? We will be in Sydney Easter night, and the Monday night following, then off the Melbourne. Thanks, Deb

margo_oz Feb 20th, 2003 08:57 PM

The Easter Carnival is the name given to the season of horse-racing around Easter - nothing more interesting than that, I'm afraid.<BR><BR>On Easter Monday there is a big race meeting at Randwick, in the eastern suburbs of Sydney.<BR><BR>Alternatively, the Royal Easter Show is on at the Olympic site. I don;t think it;s open Sunday - not too sure about that, but Easter Monday is one of the big days. It's basis is an agricuotural show, so there's the usual livestock, and any manner of other things to get rid of your money - rides, concerts, show bags, performances.

prue Feb 21st, 2003 08:29 PM

Debusa,<BR>Yes, as Margo says the Easter Carnival is in fact just the name for the important horse races held over the Easter Weekend. Wonderful entertainment - but only if you are interested in that sort of thing!<BR>The Easter Show is on for two weeks over the Easter period and Easter Sunday will be one of the main days.<BR>It is held at the Olympic venue and is also well worth a look - but only if you have time to spare. There are exhibits covering livestock ie.sheep, cattle, horses and dogs and cats and then art, flowers, cooking etc. as well as commercial exhibits with many and varied things to look at and on sale.<BR>If anyone is interested in this Show the website with full details is:<BR>www.rasnsw.com.au