Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   MORE NZ ADVICE, PLEASE (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/more-nz-advice-please-369436/)

CHOCOLATE_WATER_ICE May 30th, 2008 08:16 AM

MORE NZ ADVICE, PLEASE

It has come to my attention that I will be visiting NZ when schools are not in session.

At home, I always avoid travelling over school breaks.

I really don't enjoy crowds or ill behaved children. I mean no offence to those who have children. I travel for low key adventure and serenity. I try to go in off season.

I didn't realize that school in NZ has several longer breaks. I wonder if I have made a mistake.

I asked a reservationist at Air NZ if I was looking at a good time to travel. She said yes. I went with that and didn't check on the school break thing like I always do at home.

For those who have been to NZ, will NZ in the school break holiday time be like Yellowstone in June type of crowds (and barrels of kids)? Or will it still be ok since NZ is not that crowded generally?

Since I've gone this far, I might as well ask, very generally speaking, are children in NZ well behaved or expected to be by their parents?

I'm looking for a laid back relaxing experience. It's very hard for me to have that when there are noisy, children nearby.

Do I need to try to change my dates? It will not be that easy to do so, since time off from work is already set and the flights we want are not that easy to get?

No flames please. I am trying to make a good decision for myself and my SO (who dislikes crowds more than I do and whose dream holiday this is).

Is the spring there/fall here a big holiday travel time for parents and children?

Thanks for any advice.

Bokhara2 May 30th, 2008 02:17 PM

The major school holidays are in Summer. The winter holidays are 4 - 21 July.
www.traveldealsnz.com/new-zealand/schoolhols

Bokhara2 May 30th, 2008 02:34 PM

Sorry - I misread your post; thought you were planning to be in NZ in June.

Probably a few more people at the ski resorts & some of the attractions of interest to children/families. However, given the population of NZ is around 4m, I doubt that you're likely to encounter any great numbers.

You will be fine.

CHOCOLATE_WATER_ICE May 30th, 2008 07:27 PM

Bokhara2,

Thanks, sigh of relief here.

I want this to be a great holiday for SO.

Bokhara2 May 30th, 2008 10:06 PM

Hi Chocolate,

New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places on earth; sparsely populated with friendly,hospitable people. If you've been to some of the lovely countryside of England, parts of NZ and its people will remind you of that. (I'm an Australian,not a Kiwi doing an advertisement, BTW :))

You will have no trouble finding suitable food for your partner and, as others have suggested, fresh produce and self-catering is the way to go for many people. If in doubt, just ask someone wherever you are - they will be happy to assist. I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't enjoy their time there, and return or wish they could.

Having done the research - now it's your turn to relax & enjoy the anticipation of a great holiday. A relaxed travel companion is, IMHO, one of the most enjoyable & essential aspects of a shared holiday. Of course there will be the occasional glich; otherwise, where would the hilarious stories to be recounted later come from?

I hope you and your partner pack your smiles,love, adventurous & generous spirits, and sense of humour, leaving behind expectations that things in NZ will mirror your "at home" experiences - and write a joyous Just Back Report when you get home. :)

Melnq8 May 30th, 2008 10:12 PM

When exactly are you traveling?

We also try to avoid traveling during high season and during school breaks. However, we've done both in NZ more than once. Our most recent trip to NZ was in March, high season, and coincided with the long Easter weekend.

Never again will I travel over Easter weekend in NZ if I can possibly avoid it (famous last words). In NZ and Australia, Easter weekend is a big deal - 4-5 days off, plus kids are usually out of school. Also, many businesses close for the long weekend and those that remain open (in NZ anyway) charge a 10-15% surcharge on public holidays.

Having said that, "crowded" is a relative term. There are so few people in NZ, that you'll never encounter the crowds of Yellowstone or Disney World, etc. While local kids may be out of school and more families on the road, unless you're also traveling during high season, you'll not encounter loads of international tourists as well.

The only issue we've encountered traveling during school holidays in NZ (not to be confused with public holidays and high season) is more people on the road and at popular attractions and fully booked accommodation in small towns.

Suggest you book any activities and accommodation you don't want to miss out on, particularly in small areas, such as Franz Josef/Fox Glacier, Mt Cook, etc.