Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Moorea hotel advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/moorea-hotel-advice-573537/)

lvs Nov 29th, 2005 01:12 PM

Moorea hotel advice

We are taking the Paul Gaughin cruise from Tahiti in July and are coming in early to spend 4 days in Moorea. We were planning on staying in an OWB at the Sheraton based on friends' recommendations but Radisson has a well-priced and convenient pre-cruise package at the Intercontinental. So I was wondering how the 2 compare as resorts and the OWB rooms. I also like to snorkel and I was told that the snorkling at the Sheraton was excellent. Is it as good at the Intercontinental? Thanks for your help

cybor Nov 29th, 2005 01:46 PM

I like the location of the Sheraton better. It's near the end of a penisula offering better views and more importantly, sunshine. Look at a map of Moorea prior to booking and stay away from anything in the inlet areas as they are shadowed by the minor mountains which literally block sunshine. Those areas also have strange rain pockets during the day and always in the morning. The snorkeling is better at the Sheraton as well. Renting a bike is lots of fun if your into it as Moorea is a pretty small island. The Gaugin boat will also be in your field of view as well in the rather small inlet.
Most resturants will come pick you up at no charge and take you to their resturant and back to your hotel.
Hope that helps;
Sherry

lvs Nov 30th, 2005 06:32 AM

Thanks, Sherry that was very helpful. Is it worth the extra expense to stay in a horizon view bungalow at the Sheraton over the regular OWB? The biking sounds like fun. Any other suggested activities? In your opinion is 4 days on Moorea too much? We could spend an extra day on Tahiti touring the island since once we depart on the ship we won't spend any time there.
Linda

cybor Nov 30th, 2005 08:01 AM

Hi again,
If I recall the horizon OWB offer better views and are spaced further apart. Look at a property schematic and ask for an end cap or anything that offers unobstructed views of the water. Ask also if all of your Bung. is directly over water as I think some are only partically. Would I spend the extra bucks - yes, as this may be a once in a lifetime experience. Go for broke if you can. My husband and I were like little kids watching the fish under our bungelow while sipping some easily found French wines. I can't even tell you how cool it is to see a giant sea turtle and dolphins swim close to your deck. You may want to find out if your boat will be parked in front of the Intercontinental, if not, it really is a lovely location but for some reason I like the layout of the Sheraton better. Also, when biking, the Sheraton is easier and more preferable as the town and other beaches etc. are to the east of the Sheraton. The west side of the island is somewhat timeworn and more residential - not horribly so or scary but not all that interesting in my opinion.
As for 4 days, I'd say yes that you should be able to hit everything - there's not alot to do unless you want to bum at the beaches,your pool and deck, go to town - very small - maybe have lunch or a drink , bike - you can do the whole island in a day, kayak and hang at your hotel and oh yes, shop for a perfect pearl and eat incredible fresh wonderful food. As for spending a day in Tahiti - it depends - it always seems kind of harsh to me after being on the other islands where everything is sweeter and so beautiful. The people on the other islands are some of the most gracious people I've ever encountered. Are you able to stay longer on another island for that extra day - perhaps Bora Bora?
Happy travels;
Sherry

lvs Nov 30th, 2005 12:30 PM

Thanks so much Sherry! Yes it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We live on the east coast and it is so far away. Who knows if we'll get back again. We do have one day on Bora Bora on the cruise ship so it seems like an extra large expense to fly there for one more day. I had read that the other side of Tahiti away from the city area was more traditional. We'll just try to take a half day tour to see some of that.
Does the Sheraton have bikes or do we rent them in town? Does it pay to rent a car for one day?
Linda

oliverandharry Dec 3rd, 2005 09:38 AM

Linda,
We stayed at the Sheraton on a package tour over our spring break two years ago. At the last minute before leaving I rented a car on Moorea and was so glad I did because we would have felt totally trapped otherwise. We are not able to bike far distances and the island is about 35 miles around. March is also the total wrong time to go, the weather is unbearable (hot) and we figured out why we got the trip so
cheaply. Even with transportation, there is not a great deal to do. I can only do so much sitting around in the sun, and we would have preferred to have more opportunities to see and do. We enjoyed the Sheraton but the food everywhere on Moorea is terribly expensive and not really fabulous. If you can speak a little French, your service will be better. It is a beautiful place, but four days will do you fine I'm sure.

cybor Dec 3rd, 2005 01:58 PM

Hi Linda,
You should, if I recall, be able to get bikes at the Sheraton - I think that they have a handful, so ask early. If not, there are other companies that may bring them in or you can get to. As for a car, I didn't feel the need for one because we enjoy biking so much - particularly after being such bums. But that's just me. It's nice to burn off some of the wine and food which, by the way, I found fabulous. There is a huge influence of
of french foods/wines as well as extremely fresh vegtables and fish straight from the water. Sushi Tuna (superb) - don't know if you like that or not but there's plenty of other fish, meats and local cuisine as well. We even found a great Italian resturant.
You may end up loving your room so much that they'll have to make you leave and therefore not want to bike or rent a car. Don't forget that the resturants will pick you up and take you to their resturant. Also, I'm not sure that you'd like driving in the evening as the streets aren't so great and the lighting is non existant.
Best;
Sherry

lvs Dec 9th, 2005 09:02 AM

I've been off the forum for a week or so- busy working- so thanks again for all of the advice. We decided on staying at the Sheraton by the airport in Tahiti the first night (well part of it since we don't arrive until midnight!) and then flying out the next day to Moorea and spending 4 nights at the Sheraton before returning to Tahiti by air to board the ship. We'll come back to the Sheraton in Tahiti for a day room after the cruise until we leave for the airport that evening to return home. I believe we got a very good package from Pacific-For-Less including air fare, hotels and transfers. They had been recommended on this forum and are very helpful and knowledgeable and offer good prices. We used our American miles to book the Air Tahiti Nui flight from the US to Tahiti. Since my husband is now shoveling our driveway after an 8 inch snowfall, needless to say we are really looking forward to our trip even if it is still 6 months away!
Thanks Linda