Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Moorea Honeymoon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/moorea-honeymoon-175325/)

Anj Aug 14th, 2001 06:29 AM

Moorea Honeymoon?

We would like to go in Sept '02. The main question: are OW bungalows REALLY worth the $$? We'd like to sleep on the beach for two days and then boat, snorkel and scuba. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, can you recommend any good travel agents who really know the area?

Sally Aug 14th, 2001 08:16 AM

What do you mean by "sleep on the beach"??? There's a big difference in sleeping in the beach & stayin gin an OW bungalow....about $500-600 difference!

Anj Aug 14th, 2001 08:52 AM

Ha ha, thanks Sally. No I mean to spend a few days lounging on the beach while staying at a bungalow. What think you? Do you know anything about off-peak fares for OW bungalows? Are they worth it? Better suggestions?

freewoman Aug 15th, 2001 08:19 PM

I will tell you that when we went, we chose not to stay in the OW bungalows because they were twice as much. BUT after we got there, we were sorry we did not bite the bullet and go for the OW bungalow. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time and will never forget it, but Tahiti is the only place you have the choice to stay in one. Even tho I hear there is a plan to built some in Jamaica. (I would not go to Jamaica even to stay in one!!) <BR> <BR>If cost is a really big factor, see if you can stay in a garden bungalow for most of your trip and move to an OW for the last few nights. I think most of the resorts are used to that.

YS Aug 16th, 2001 07:59 AM

It also depends on the resort. In Sofitel, for example, the OW are MUCH better then garden units, but in the Sheraton the difference is not all that much. There's no such thing as "off-peak" prices in Tahiti. <BR>I think it's worth trying, it is a very unique experience. You can snorkel off your own dock, you can watch the fish from a glass-bottom part of the bungalow. The only drawback - if you are not staying in "deep overwater" or "premium overweater" units - you will lack some privacy. <BR>You can also split part of your stay between beach/garden and ow units. <BR>

Louise Aug 16th, 2001 09:03 AM

I remember a while back there was someone complaining about their over- water bungalow. Evidently it was so shallow you could not swim from it. Also, some of the resorts are built where there is a sandy bottom and in that case there would not be much fish life to see. Just something to think about. Loved the snorkeling at Bora Bora and Rangiroa. Arrived in Moorea after a storm so the water was pretty murky right off the beach.

deb Aug 16th, 2001 09:10 AM

We stayed at the Bali Hai in Cooks Bay for most of the week and on our last day and night stayed at the Bali Hai Hotel in one of their OW bungalows. It has been torn down now, but they are rebuilding. It was defintely worth the money. It was private, romantic, and Tahiti is the only place you can stay in one. I wish we would have done it for 2 or 3 nights. If you divide it like we did make sure you stay in the OW at the end of your trip and spend you time there just looking out to sea, snorkeling off your deck, etc. It would be hard to go back to a regular room.