Reload this Page >

Gold Coast? Sunshine Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Muni

Hello! <BR> <BR>Just a quick question....how long does it take to drive along the Gold Coast (one-way) and also along the Sunshine coast (one-way)? Any suggestions of one to do over the other? <BR>Please advise. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR>Muni

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:00 AM
marg

From Brisbane to either the southern end of the Gold Coast, or to the northern end of the Sunshine Coast, the drive is about 2 hours, but you will want to stop and look all along the way. If you are doing it as a day trip from Brisbane, allow all day. There are freeways in both directions to get you there quickly, but you can also wander along the coastline slowly. <BR>The Gold Coast is more commercial with three or four theme parks. Good things to do - take a boat trip from Surfers Paradise to Sanctuary Cove and have lunch there. The cabaret at Jupiters if fun and not expensive. If you have a car, drive inland to Mt Tamborine, or to Springbrook Falls. <BR>On the Sunshine Coast, Noosa is very upmarket - a wander along Hastings Street checking out the shops can take all morning. Eumundi Market on Saturday is excellent and lots of fun. Take a drive to Montville - lovely scenery and very cute, plus lots of little shops and eating places.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Muni

Marg, <BR> <BR>Hi! Thanks for your reply. Is the drive along the Gold Coast (the scenic route) relatively easy and manageable? How about the Sunshine coast drive? How far is Mt. Tamborine and Springbook Falls from the Gold coast? Please advise. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR>Muni

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Matt

The Gold Coast itself is only about 30km from northern tip (Southport) to southern tip (Coolongatta). Its not a scenic drive, just a busy highway with loads of traffic lights and unattractive shopping strips. The secnic drives can be found further south and inland. Mt Tambourine is about 30 mins away and its about 1 hour up to Springbrook Falls (highly recommended).

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Muni

Matt, <BR> <BR>Thanks for your reply. How far is Brisbane from Southport? Also, is there a separate scenic drive versus perhaps an inland highway drive for the Gold Coast? Sounds like I must see Mt. Tambourine and Springbrook Falls though. Thank you. Please feel to email me directly too. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR>Muni

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Matt

Southport is about 80km from Brisbane. The Gold Coast Hwy is not inland, in most parts its only a few hundred metres from the beach, but your view will be mostly shops and apartment buildings. Further south (into northern NSW) where its less built up, there are some scenic coastal drives. <BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:47 AM
Muni

Is the Sunshine Coast Drive more scenic than the Gold Coast? Or even less touristy perhaps? I'm still debating between which one I ought to do. Thanks for the advice. <BR>Muni