1 month in Australia best on budget not big cities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, will be arriving in Australia (assume Sydne/Melbourne) in mid November with 4-5 weeks to spend. I'm from Chicago so while the big cities offer up a lot of options for some, my goal is to see the remote corners. I have a Nomad Pass and was pondering a 3month train pass (AusRail) or some sort of Oz-bus pass to take in the following

Darwin/Kakadu
Red Center
Perth
East coast up to Cains

I will have rolled off a 90day African safari with Egypt and India in my rear-view at this point.
Since this forum is about opinions, I'd like to know what a decent itinerary would be. Earlier posts suggest that Perth is great if you have the time. I seem to have the time. I'm an avid hiker and will have gear with for cooking etc. The websites all promote their particular "take" on the where/why of each area, but I'd love to hear from folks who have done a lot of Australian travel. I'm also looking for wonderous remote/odd things to photograph and not one for wine tours. I have around US$3,000 to spend, and like I said, 4-5 weeks to do it....thanks in advance for your advice...
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Perth IS great, and often overlooked, as it's not particularly convenient for many travelers from the US.

I'm an avid hiker too, and I absolutely adore the SW of Western Australia. The hiking options are endless down that way, with many national parks, reserves, deserted beaches, towering karri forests, etc. For starters, you might want to check out the website for the Bibbulmun Track, a ~965 km walking track that begins in the Perth Hills and ends in Albany. I'm not suggesting you walk the whole track (you'd need more than a month!), but you can easily walk sections of it, exploring the region as you go.

If you're looking for REALLY remote, you might be interested in the NW coast of WA too. It doesn't have the stunning landscapes of the SW, nor does it offer the hiking opportunities....but it will give you a good dose of Australian red dirt, stunning turquoise ocean and stark outback emptiness.

By the way, November is still wildflower season in WA - a spectacular time to visit.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 07:58 PM

What is a nomad pass?
Here is a website that you must check out because you should add Tasmania to your list of places to go. www.discovertasmania.com.au
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 02:44 PM

And I would put my vote in for Alice Springs and Uluru / Kata Tjuta, as well as Cairns and the surrounding areas for stunning photo opportunities although probably not a lot of hiking that I know of (that is not my forte!)
I'm visiting Darwin & Kakadu in July so can't comment yet but will post a report shortly after my return. I am aware of lots of walks around Kakadu that lead to pretty spectacular viewing spots. Have a look at the following website for some information.

http://environment.gov.au/parks/publ...itor-guide.pdf

Dot
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Many, many wonderful walks around Cairns and the surrounding areas Dotty. I don't think I would want to be in Uluru in November though which is when these folk are going I think.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:12 AM

Oops, you are right, inbe! I wasn't thinking about time of the year.
I have just looked at the discovertasmania site out of curiosity - it is on our places-to-visit list. Looks interesting. My sis & b-i-l are heading for Flinders Island tomorrow for 4 nights.
From what I have read and seen Tasmania would be an ideal spot for spectacular walks and photography.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Dot: and delicious food, beautiful scenery, lovely walks in Wilderness and other areas, history, pretty little Georgian villages, lovely waterways and bays inlet and the like.
I would like to go to Flinders or better still, King Island but the cost is extreme I think.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! the route is getting a little more defined. Coober Pedy and Kangaroo Island have been added and I'm thinking a longer stay in the NT will appeal to me more than time spend along the right coast...m
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM

This might give you a bit of an impression of Australia away from the cities.

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...-road-trip.cfm
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Coober Pedy has little going for it once you have been down an underground hotel or house. It is expensive and not that frequent travel opportunities to get to, distance is far from Adelaide and is not indicative of Australia's outback. Kangaroo Island is popular only because it is well marketed but you can see much more elsewhere and again it is expensive to get to for what it is.
I suggest that you listen and read what others above have said if you want a quality time because I think you have some quite strange preconceived ideas of what Australia is about and also about some of the areas.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 06:38 PM

The hinterland behind Cairns has a lot to offer. Starting from the Atherton Tablelands were there is an abundance of wildlife, beautiful scenery and some cheap accommodation choices, you can make your way out to Chillagoe by bus from Mareeba to see the outback. Limestone caves and cast landscape around the town.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 07:40 PM

$3000 will last you two weeks in Australia, if you plan to sleep indoors? In November, stay south of Queensland and the NT and watch out for snakes and spiders! For hiking, do a little research on the Funnel Web spider in the Sydney area, inspect your boots before putting them on and roll your sleeping bag TIGHTLY!
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 12:17 AM

The advice to do some research is good! Don't restrict it to Atrax Spiders which are a danger in a specific environment for a short while in spring.

You might be better on another forum such as Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 12:51 PM

We throughly enjoyed Coober Pedy and found it a bargain (compared to Perth anyway). It IS a haul though - took us about eight hours to drive there from Adelaide, but we felt it was well worth the time and effort. We also incorporated the Flinder's Ranges, which I highly recommend if you have time.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 08:56 PM

The Flinders are fantastic but one needs transport.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM

I overlooked the transport issue, sorry.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:44 AM

AlanJG raises a good point; we also have a close relative of the black widow spider, the redback; stingers and blue ringed octopus in North Queensland in November (blue ringed octopus as far south as Sydney at least).

Stay in small towns and you will save money and see the REAL Australia; you can't hitch a ride but if you call into big highway service centres you may find a friendly trucker going your way.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM

Yes we have so many deadly things that it is a wonder that our population would continue to grow even without immigration. If you do silly things you can easily get yourself killed but that goes for anywhere in the world.

If you want to see deadly snakes or dangerous spiders go to a zoo as most are hard to find in the wild.
Old May 13th, 2011, 07:14 AM

madgicsh didn't say very much, but what he did say may be the most important information so far. Mid Nov-Dec is V-E-R-Y H-O-T anywhere in the outback or the NT, even QLD. Think Palm Springs and Key West in the Summer. If they get a lot of rain roads in the NT in particular could be closed. For days. Only the Greyhound buses may get through road closures. Sometimes. If you plan on camping (cooking gear?) be sure to only camp in campgrounds and YES...many, many dangerous and deadly creepy crawly things here. And, check the exchange rate, because right now with the US$ being so low, Australia will be very expensive for you. Even Youth Hostels are not cheap. Also, if you are here Christmas - New Years, it can be very difficult to find accommodation as that is summer vacation and school is out. Just do some googling about safety in the outback, weather, rainy season, etc, and you'll figure it out.

90 days safari. Wow!
Old May 14th, 2011, 03:42 PM

If you are young and fit the weather will not be much of a bother to your comfort. The Top end could have early floods but it is not likely and the electrical storms of the build up are a magnificent sight. In north Queensland you can escape the heat and humidity by going up to the Atherton Tablelands, cooler and lots of safe swimming places.

Have a look at the government website for places you are going and make up your own mind. http://www.bom.gov.au/index.shtml

My talk of the dangers was very much tongue in cheek.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -