Milford Track Tours

Aug 30th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Milford Track Tours

My friend and I will be in NZ next Jan and she would like to do the 4 day trek, ( I'm not up to it...one day will be fine for me!!)
I'm having trouble finding tour operators that do this 4day trek. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Aug 30th, 2004, 06:44 PM

Kodi -

I believe both Real Journeys and Ultimate Hikes offer 4 day treks at Milford. Their websites are: Fiordlandtravel.co.nz and ultimatehikes.co.nz, respectively. I went on the one day hike with Real Journeys and really enjoyed it. I think next time I go to NZ and have enough time, I'd like to go on the 4 day hike. The accommodations looked very comfortable. Either way - I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Martha
Sep 1st, 2004, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the websites. I'll have a look a them. I don't know why I wasn't very successful when I did a search, so this is great. My friend wants to do the 4 day walk, and I may even go for the one day hike.
It sounds beautiful!
Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM
ALF

FYI, there are two ways to tramp the Milford Track; the Guided Walk (as described above), and the so-called "Free Walk", which involves staying in huts operated by the New Zealand Dept of Conservation (DOC). Free Walker huts are much more rustic, and you must bring your own food to cook on the supplied stoves. Also, there are no guides along the way, you are on your own. Lastly, the cost is one-tenth that of the Guided Walk.

Here is the DOC Website:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/Explore/002~T...rack/index.asp

Companies such as Kiwi Discovery (www.kiwidiscovery.com/index.cfm/tracks) will put together all of the transportation arrangements for a Free Walking tramp, so you don't have to worry about the bookings required.

Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Alf, thank you so much. Those web sites are great!! I didn't realize that it was possible to do the walk on your own. ( way too much stuff to carry for me!!) At least it will give my friend more options to think about, and perhaps save her a lot of money.
Thanks again.