Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Milford Sound - cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/milford-sound-cruise-177773/)

Kim Mar 22nd, 2002 04:39 AM

Milford Sound - cruise

Does anyone have any advice about taking the Milford Sound overnight cruise versus the day cruise? Since I've not finalized my trip plans, time isn't an issue. We like to kayak and I thought it would be a great place to kayak. <BR>Thanks for any advice!

Dick Mar 22nd, 2002 05:15 AM

We took the early morning cruise because we were told that it would be much less crowded. It's best to avoid going middle of the day becuse thats when all the tour busses from Quenstown arrive.<BR><BR>Be sure to walk around to the right(as you face the sound from the dock) for a great waterfall that adds some perspective to the size of the sound.<BR><BR>Let me tell you, that is one dark tunnel just before you get to the sound.<BR><BR>

Marija Mar 22nd, 2002 10:07 AM

We did the overnight on Doubtful Sound and loved it. Kayaking was available. I would strongly recommend that you book the overnighter on Milford. If it's anything like the overnight on Doubtful Sound it will be incredible.

Kim Mar 22nd, 2002 01:12 PM

Thank you for your info - We have been thinking about taking the Doubtful Sound cruise also.<BR>I guess I should figure out which one to do overnight and maybe do the other one a day trip.<BR>I will make sure I walk around to the right! Thanks

Richard Mar 23rd, 2002 04:22 PM

Kim, <BR>The waterfall that Dick was referring to is the Bowen Falls. The sheer volume of water that tumbles over the top is absolutely amazing. You also get a good look from the water.<BR>I have not been on a overnight cruise on Milford but I would imagine it would be spectacular. If you do go on the day cruise I recommend you take The 'Mitre Peak Boat' it is smaller than the other boats, and the commentaries are only in English. It also goes out past the heads whereas all the other boats do not.<BR>The trip to Milford is on one of the most scenic roads that I personally have ever travelled on. If you are travelling by car, make sure you give yourself plenty of time so that you can stop often.<BR>Sea kayaking is really enjoyable, my wife and went kayaking in the Abel Tasman National Park.<BR>I have been on the overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound and, as Marija said, it is really worth while. I thoroughly recommend it. Our last trip to Doubtful Sound was in 2001, we went on the day cruise. The weather going over the Wilmot Pass was really lousy and on the Sound was even worse. We did get some patches of sun, however, and I managed to get some good photographs. Let me know if you would like to view these.<BR>If I can be any further help let me know, I live in Christchurch.<BR>

Kim Mar 24th, 2002 05:51 AM

Thanks again for the information - we really appreciate it! Richard, one of the many books I've looked through also recommended the Mitre Peak Boat for the day trip in Milford Sound. For some reason, I give it more credence when the recommendation comes from someone who has actually done the trip - so thank you. We'd love to see the pictures.<BR>Thanks!

John Mar 24th, 2002 09:32 AM

One note about Bowen Falls, the volume of water falling is dependent upon recent rains. We were last there in November, 2000. The area had not received much recent rain and the water falling was not voluminous. However it was still beautiful.

carolyn Apr 3rd, 2002 01:35 PM

My husband and I were in NZ in Feb 2002. Without a doubt, the best thing we did on our trip was the overnight cruise on Doubtful. We booked it through Fiordland Travel in Queenstown. The ship was only 5 months old. It was very modern, the food was great. They have kayaks on board, side trips on a small launch, great food, clean & private cabins (all included in ticket). We took the late afternoon cruise on the Mitre Peak on Milford the day before Doubtful. The Mitre Peak holds about 40 people, but there were only 4 passengers on board and a crew of 2. It is true, go to Milford in the afternoon, after the buses leave. The road into Milford is beautiful. Leave time for some side trips, the one up to Lake Marian is especially good, as is The Chasm. Only one thing to warn you about, the mosquitos (called sand flys?) are merciless in this area. Bring some bug spray.

Kim Apr 3rd, 2002 07:20 PM

Carolyn,<BR>Thanks for the info you've provided. Everyone offers such good advice and there's always something new to learn - like the bug spray! It's stuff like that we would never think about unless someone who's been there tells us about.<BR>I e-mailed the Fiordland travel and they responded within a few hours - that's impressive.<BR>Thanks for the info!