Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Melbourne,Brisbane or Perth ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/melbourne-brisbane-or-perth-375842/)

Lesg Jun 9th, 2008 11:09 AM

Melbourne,Brisbane or Perth ?

I've been to Sydney and loved every minute but I'm stuck as to which city and surrounding area to visit next.
We like,sea/beaches,museums,plenty of sightseeing (eg:wineries) and most importantly,great cafes/restaurants and nightlife.

I'm tending to favour Melbourne but the wife likes the look of the Gold Coast and Brissie.

Any opinions ?.

LizzyF Jun 9th, 2008 01:59 PM

Gold Coast and Brisbane would be fantastic. Although Melbourne has very good restaurants and nightlife the former destination has got a lot more to offer in just about every other way AND it more "Australian" and less " just another city like so many other cities in the World "

DownUnder Jun 9th, 2008 09:52 PM

If you want the best restaurants, the best Art Galleries and the best club scene, then it has to be Melbourne.
Also great wineries on Mornington Penisular and Yarra Valley.

traveljunkie28 Jun 10th, 2008 01:49 PM

Melbourne has fantastic dining, shopping, museums and outdoor markets. Lots to do! If you drive on the Ocean Road you can visit some wineries along the way.

I really enjoyed Brisbane and what it has to offer as well.

When are planning to travel?

Bokhara2 Jun 10th, 2008 02:01 PM

When will you be here? The season might influence your choice.

Lesg Jun 15th, 2008 10:03 AM

Travelling in September/October time.

Bokhara2 Jun 15th, 2008 03:15 PM

I think Melbourne would be a good choice in Spring, Lasg.

It has everythng on your wish list, a rich & cosmopolitan inner city life and wonderful scenery, wineries, national parks etc on the outskirts. Daytrips can take you to some spectacular scenery - like the Great Ocean Road.

I love Perth too, but from your post I just have the feeling that you'd particularly like Melbourne.

Lesg Jun 17th, 2008 05:42 AM

To Bokhara,

Do you know of some good hotels in Melbourne,4 or 5 star ?.

Bokhara2 Jun 17th, 2008 06:38 AM

Hi Les,
Have a look at www.wotif.com.au to give you a guide to what's where, prices etc.

Are you looking for stylish & funky; stylish & conservative?

A couple of things to consider: If you're going to be there for a few days, might you prefer a serviced apartment?

Do you want to be right in the CBD, or would you prefer to be a little further out, say in St.Kilda or one of the bayside suburbs (Brighton, for example)?

mariebut Jun 18th, 2008 05:30 AM

Lesg, as far as accomodation in Melb at the time you are thinking, you had better book quick because thats AFL finals time!!

JohnFitz Jun 28th, 2008 04:52 AM

consider the Adelphi Hotel in Flinders Lane .Just been renovated / updated ( although check it is not still continuing as I recall a post here expressing disappointment because of this ) and is regarded as an excellent boutique property .The pool on the roof cantilevers out over the parapet with a glass bottom so you look down to the street below .

I am not sure if the Hyatt in Collins Street will have re-opened after its major renovation but if it has then look seriously at it as it will be splendid and is in the heart of the most luxe shops etc .The Westin Marriott , also in Collins Street ,is very good. The Sofitel on Collins rooms are all at levels 35 + and provides wonderful views . These 3 are all within a block of each other , theatres , restaurants , trams .

The Prince of Wales Hotel in Fitzroy Street St.Kilda is another luxe boutique property as is The Royce in St Kilda Rd ( a former Rolls Royce showroom )has Art Deco inspired public interiors but it is a little out of town but gets great reviews .

Ingrid009 Jul 9th, 2008 08:22 PM

I'd go to Gold Coast. Weather will be fantastic that time of year and the vineyards and wineries in the Gold Coast hinterland of Mt Tamborine are lovely and easy to visit. Lots of scenic rainforest walks and activities in the area and cute places to stay, with good restaurants. Gold Coast is fantastic for beaches and nightlife but not so many museums I don't think. You could go to Brisbane city for the day for museums and art galleries though.

Sarvowinner Jul 9th, 2008 10:14 PM

If you can get accommodation in Melbourne of Grand final weekend - go to Melbourne. The buzz is just amazing. There are street parades and the fans have to be seen to be believed.

I'm certainly not a sports fan and my husband's relatives drive me nuts when I visit in the winter because the footy discussions are incessant but if you can score a ticket to the GF - GO! It's electric.

On top of that Melbourne ticks all your boxes. I must say that I am not a fan of the Gold Coast. It's a lot like Florida.

Blackjack4 Jul 10th, 2008 03:28 AM

I just wanted to "second" the Melbourne choice as it seems to fit well with what you are after. The Gold Coast and Brisbane are hot and will be certainly warming up by that time of year so that may be a consideration if you don't like the heat (I personally can only tolerate Brisbane in winter). The feel in Melbourne is great - the driving is certainly interesting!!

Susan7 Jul 11th, 2008 05:31 PM

And I'd second the Adelphi, it's like an art gallery itself: along the corridor of each floor there are photographs by Australian photographers. I haven't been there since the revamp, but the pool on the roof is great, like swimming in a large gutter with a view to the street below.

Another hotel I really like in Melbourne is the Lindrum, also very nice breakfast.