Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Melbourne 1 week stay (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/melbourne-1-week-stay-252260/)

ade Aug 23rd, 2002 01:35 AM

Melbourne 1 week stay

Hi,my friend and i would be going to Melbourne for 1-week hols. What would be the best places to visit to get the most out of this short trip? As we are students on low budget:), we are thinking of staying in motels. What would be good places to consider? and where can we get decent budget dinners below 25 dollars? I appreciate help a lot as we are first-time backpackers..:)

Kay Aug 23rd, 2002 06:58 PM

The Ibis Hotel in Melbourne often has budget specials and is in a reasonably good area, close to Queen Vic Market where you can get great food (fresh or cooked), and listen to buskers for free. Do a search for the Ibis, another alternative would be the St Kilda area, 10 min by tram from the city and full of backpacker places. Check out www.jasons.com.au <BR>You will have no trouble eating for less than A$25 per person, my husband and I eat out regularly and rarely spend more than this. Lygon St near the city is wall-to-wall restaurants, also try Brunswick St and some places at Southbank in the city are reasonable (try the Blue Train).<BR>Kay

ade Aug 23rd, 2002 10:54 PM

Hi, thanks for your advice.. it's better than anything i found so far on the net..:) one question.. is tipping a regular thing in Australian culture and should we tip guides and what would be a decent tip in resturants? :)

ade Aug 24th, 2002 12:18 AM

Hi, thanks for your advice.. it's better than anything i found so far on the net..:) one question.. is tipping a regular thing in Australian culture and should we tip guides and what would be a decent tip in resturants? :)

kathy Aug 24th, 2002 08:30 PM

You really need only tip if you think the service has been over and above the call of duty. <BR>Check out www.visitmelbourne.com all you need to know is on there.<BR>St Kilda Rd is the most convenient area to stay in, use the trams, and I believe there are some backpacker places at St. Kilda Beach. St. Kilda Beach is a fun place with lots to see.<BR>Southbank is the riverfront area in the city and there are lots of reasonably priced places to eat at although the cheaper ones close around 6pm. Then the more expensive places take over for the evening. Lygon St, Chinatown and the Vietnamese area are also great for bargain eats plus the small greek area where one cafe is open 24 hours and serves superb souvlaki. Go for it!!!

ade Aug 27th, 2002 05:05 AM

After some discussion wif a friend, we decided this would be our itinerary:<BR><BR>29 Aug- Carlton/Fitzroy (maybe rialto towers observation deck)<BR><BR>30 Aug-Central Melbourne (victoria market, Victoria Arts Centre backstage tour, Old Melbourne candlelight tour)<BR><BR>31 Aug-Philip Bay/Morington Peninsula<BR><BR>1 Sept-Melbourne-Frankston/St Kilda (Shrine of remembrance, Hobsons bay cycling)<BR><BR>2 sept-Great Ocean Rd (overnighting)<BR><BR>3 Sept-Geelong/Bellarine Bay (Swan Bay, Royal Botanic Gardens)<BR><BR>4 Sept Yarra Valley/Dandenongs Ranges<BR><BR>We don't know where to stay along these places or if we should get a place in central melbourne and travel back at night so we always have a place to stay.. what good advice can we get?:)

ade Aug 27th, 2002 05:50 AM

After some discussion wif a friend, we decided this would be our itinerary:<BR><BR>29 Aug- Carlton/Fitzroy (maybe rialto towers observation deck)<BR><BR>30 Aug-Central Melbourne (victoria market, Victoria Arts Centre backstage tour, Old Melbourne candlelight tour)<BR><BR>31 Aug-Philip Bay/Morington Peninsula<BR><BR>1 Sept-Melbourne-Frankston/St Kilda (Shrine of remembrance, Hobsons bay cycling)<BR><BR>2 sept-Great Ocean Rd (overnighting)<BR><BR>3 Sept-Geelong/Bellarine Bay (Swan Bay, Royal Botanic Gardens)<BR><BR>4 Sept Yarra Valley/Dandenongs Ranges<BR><BR>We don't know where to stay along these places or if we should get a place in central melbourne and travel back at night so we always have a place to stay.. what good advice can we get?:)