Notices

Melborne Hospitality

Oct 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Melborne Hospitality

Have friend who have recently moved to Melbourne from the US- beautiful location on the water.... have invited me to visit- I have not done my home work. Would love to visit Australia and possibly more during a trip there for 3-4 weeks. JUST recently started a little research- probably won't go for another year but who knows. really starting with a blank slate and ready to paint this journey.... fit; ready to hike; ready to go to new places and would love to hear your suggestions and travel adentures. Will also plan to read up on Fodors to see what/ where you all have been!
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Just back from there. Melbourne has tons of shops, places to eat and even a Cosco!.Great public transport, lots of night life if your into that, beaches etc. The drive along the coast to Port Apollo is great but past that point the coast road turns somewhat inland. I am sure you will find a ton of things to do.
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Hi!

Melbourned is a spectacular city! It is divided by the Yarra River with the more upscale sections with exclusive neighborhoods,tree-lined streets. The Prahran section has jazzy bistros, antique shops, boutique shops and a funky vibe. The north side of the Yarra is more commercial. Check out the Queen Victoria Market, the Royal Melbourned Zoological Gardens, the Bunjilaka Aboriginal Center and the Australia Gallery. Definitely take time to do the walking tours and a great place to start is the Flinders Railway Station. If you want to go beyond Melbourne, you can catch a bit of the Outback or go out to the Mornington Peninsula.

If you have 3-4 weeks, I would expand my trip towards Tasmania, Adelaide, Kangaroo Island and the Outback as well as Melbourne. Australia is so huge and so much to see that I like to create trips that allow me to do in-depth trips to a region. Then, I can go back again soon to do another in-depth trip to another region.

Best Regards,
Julia
Oct 27th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Melbourne is a a wonderful city and I'm sure by the time you arrive, your friends will have lots of places they want to show you.
One of its charms for me is its proximity to other interesting and varied areas in Victoria. The Yarra valley, Morning Peninsula; towns along the Great Ocean Road; Gippsland and the high country, to mention just a few. A weekend loop to Wangaratta,Millawa, Beechworth, Bright in the Autumn would be fabulous. Wineries,historic & picturesque towns, cheese makers and fields of mustard & lavender, together with autumn foliage. I use this link for some of my trips : www.visitvictoria.com/

It's only a short flight/overnight ferry trip to Tasmania. You could pop over for a long weekend if your friends are working. You wouldn't see everything but it's quite long enough for a good "glimpse".

Friends in other places .... best opportunity in the world for seeing & experiencing at a completely different level! You will have a fabulous time.

Search this Thread