Low Carb/Artificial Sweetners?

Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Low Carb/Artificial Sweetners?

I will be on a very restricted diet when I head back to Oz and NZ in August. Will I be able to find a decent amount of sugar free beverages (non carbonated) or am I destined to only drink water for 2+ weeks???

I can always attempt to pack my Splenda and Crystal Light!

I will miss the scones

I wasn't sure if the Atkins/low carb diet craze had made it across the big pond yet--unfortunately my diet is not going to be a choice but a requirement.
Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:21 AM

Hi Alise,

The Atkins diet is all the rage here to. I have been on it for about 6 months myself. It can be difficult to find low carb food when your on holiday but it can be done. There is also a product out now called Starch Stopper which prevents the absorption of the starch sugars which I have been using for the last week and it seems to work okay.

Splenda is available here but sugar free/caffeine free drinks that are not carbonated are hard to find. You can purchase diet cordial from the supermarkets but these need to be made up with water. A lot of restaurants are savvy with the Atkins diet.

Cheers

Paul_S
Dec 4th, 2003, 10:03 PM

There are any number of uniformly awful diet carbonated beverages, but not much else.

Artificial sweeteners are available.

Search this Thread